Which headphone is the best for Electronic music under 200$??
Apr 1, 2006 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

joe84

New Head-Fier
hi

what is the best i can get for electronic music in the 150-200$ price range? full sized headphone, supra-aural will be good too.

would like to hear opinions from audiophiles who are into electronic music, i listen mainly to Psytrance, Full-On, Goa and a little bit of New-York house...

i want to get a punchy sound and a strong bass impact. (but please dont confuse it with "bloated bass") also a wide soundstage is important...

will be connected to my computer. (soundcard is Creative Audigy2ZS)

thanks!

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 17
Two words: Audico Technica

The A900 sounds like it would be perfect for you. Big expansive soundstage, booming bass without being bloated (some may tell you otherwise), and circumaural. Go to www.audiocubes.com and order it! Now!

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 17
Dude, what you describe is nearly the perfect description of the Beyerdynamic DT-990. The only difference is that it is circumaural instead of supra-aural. I'm more into E.B.M., industrial, minimal electro, electroclash and noise techno but also listen to goa and acid. Usage with soundcard is ok. I use mine directly connected to my iMac / iBook for listening Music with iTunes or making electronical music with Garageband. With a headphoneamp the bass will get even a little bit more punchy, but the difference isn't that great.
Just listening to Astral Projection with a big grin on my face
icon10.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by E.B.M.Head
Dude, what you describe is nearly the perfect description of the Beyerdynamic DT-990. The only difference is that it is circumaural instead of supra-aural. I'm more into E.B.M., industrial, minimal electro, electroclash and noise techno but also listen to goa and acid. Usage with soundcard is ok. I use mine directly connected to my iMac / iBook for listening Music with iTunes or making electronical music with Garageband. With a headphoneamp the bass will get even a little bit more punchy, but the difference isn't that great.
Just listening to Astral Projection with a big grin on my face
icon10.gif

Now youre talking man!! Astral Projection are my favourite artists, (Open Society yeahhh) just last week i had a great time at they're concert.. good to hear theyre also popular abroad..

anyway, ill check both the 990 and the A900 but i want to get the most out of the headphone without an Amp so low impedance is needed and i also forgot to say that it have to be closed too. any other opinions will be very welcome!

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 17
Ah, closed eh? The Audio-Technica ATH-A900 would a great choice.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's a perfect headphone for that bass attack and clear highs of electronic music. It's quite a versatile headphone - great for gaming, movies, and all types of music.

The DT990 is surprisingly similar and a little bit more balanced for some tastes, but it's open.

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 17
If it had to be closed, then maybe the little brother DT-770 might be for you. A little less soundstage, but even more bass and trebble. You can get it as 80 Ohm or even 32 Ohm Version. (80 Ohm at Guitar Center, 32 Ohm only at Meier Audio or through Beyer Dymanic Headphone configurator if I remember right) besides the standard 250 Ohm or 600 Ohm for studio usage.
When it comes to goa most people here think about astral projection first. Goa was quite popoular here, but it's out of fashion nowadays... I still love it.

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by E.B.M.Head
You can get it as 80 Ohm or even 32 Ohm Version. (80 Ohm at Guitar Center, 32 Ohm only at Meier Audio or through Beyer Dymanic Headphone configurator if I remember right)

Oh, I forgot that the DT770 was in this pricerange, specifically the lower impedance versions. I thought it was around $250.
tongue.gif

Yep, the DT770 would also work.
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 17
I third that -- the DT770 sounds like what you are looking for.

Apr 1, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 17
The DT770 is really perfect for electronica - that's what I listen to most of the time as well. However, they are not the most energetic cans and sometimes fall short with fast kickbass figures. Everything is laid back, warm, distant and subwooferish, they rather make you lean back on your sofa than pushing you to involved rocking moods. If you really want to display the energy of Goa or House, the A900 might be a better choice.

BTW, as you want to drive it directly with your soundcard, you are practically limited to the expensive 32 Ohm version of the DT770. The 80 Ohm version will be loud enough, but severely lack speed if driven unamped.

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #10 of 17
I agree with the recommendation for the Beyer DT990's. Great for electronica!!!!!!!!

Apr 2, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #11 of 17
Another vote for any of the DT770 models.

Apr 2, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #13 of 17
A900 FTW seconded

Users who are viewing this thread

Back