Which Headphone Do You Have To Try Next?
May 21, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #31 of 51
- Apple's next over-ears, regardless of whether they're Apple or Beats branded. Passive headphones should have gone the way of the dodo years ago (like speakers) and active headphones with feedback mechanisms and real-time FR adjustments to compensate for seal, positioning or anatomical variations are the future of high-fidelity. Of all the tech brands Apple is the best placed to achieve something interesting in that area for various reasons, so anything they come up with I'm interested. After using the AirPods Max which have a rather unique combination right now of somewhat sensible FR curve, at least below 3-4khz or so, low noise electronics and real-time FR compensation below 1khz + ANC I find it increasingly exceedingly difficult to listen to any other pair of closed back over-ears, between seal and pad issues, frequent L/R matching issues, poor linearity below 1khz, low frequency microphonics coming from your now body, etc...
I'm quite curious to see also how the APM will influence other brands, for better or worse (Sonos, Bose, Sony, etc.).
- Sundara 2020 : I haven't listen to the most recent planars on the market and the engineering on these seem quite solid without too much of the usual shortcomings one can often see with them. I've actually ordered them.
- Any pair of Focal open backs : I'm interested to hear what a pair of headphones with an open front volume and very good low end extension with low THD sounds like... if it actually matters compared to other headphones EQed to taste. But I'm pretty certain that I won't ever be tempted to purchase one as long as Focal's repair and spare parts capabilities are so terrible. Highly skeptical that I'll enjoy them above 1khz or so.
- AKG N90Q : only pair of headphones in existence to my knowledge that made an attempt to correct the FR curve past 1khz to tailor it to the user's anatomy, using two microphones and test tones inside the cup. I'm just curious for these, I'm not expecting miracles.
- Meze Empyrean.

May 21, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #32 of 51
- Apple's next over-ears, regardless of whether they're Apple or Beats branded. Passive headphones should have gone the way of the dodo years ago (like speakers) and active headphones with feedback mechanisms and real-time FR adjustments to compensate for seal, positioning or anatomical variations are the future of high-fidelity. Of all the tech brands Apple is the best placed to achieve something interesting in that area for various reasons, so anything they come up with I'm interested. After using the AirPods Max which have a rather unique combination right now of somewhat sensible FR curve, at least below 3-4khz or so, low noise electronics and real-time FR compensation below 1khz + ANC I find it increasingly exceedingly difficult to listen to any other pair of closed back over-ears, between seal and pad issues, frequent L/R matching issues, poor linearity below 1khz, low frequency microphonics coming from your now body, etc...
I'm quite curious to see also how the APM will influence other brands, for better or worse (Sonos, Bose, Sony, etc.).
- Sundara 2020 : I haven't listen to the most recent planars on the market and the engineering on these seem quite solid without too much of the usual shortcomings one can often see with them. I've actually ordered them.
- Any pair of Focal open backs : I'm interested to hear what a pair of headphones with an open front volume and very good low end extension with low THD sounds like... if it actually matters compared to other headphones EQed to taste. But I'm pretty certain that I won't ever be tempted to purchase one as long as Focal's repair and spare parts capabilities are so terrible. Highly skeptical that I'll enjoy them above 1khz or so.
- AKG N90Q : only pair of headphones in existence to my knowledge that made an attempt to correct the FR curve past 1khz to tailor it to the user's anatomy, using two microphones and test tones inside the cup. I'm just curious for these, I'm not expecting miracles.
- Meze Empyrean.
A very interesting opinion, especially since it is the polar opposite of mine.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #33 of 51
*Abyss 1266 phi tc
*Susvara
**Sennheiser HE90

* : In Canada it’s just about impossible to try out the Abyss or Susvara. I’d have to live in either Montreal or Toronto. Even Vancouver doesn’t have many quality Audio stores. The only one I’m aware of doesn’t carry these.

In my case it’s even more so because I live in a small maritime village. The nearest and only big city is Halifax and the two Audio stores don’t carry these models. Even if they did, I wouldn’t be able to afford them.

** : A simple listening session with these would be a dream come true.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #34 of 51
1. Meze empyrons.
2. Any Audeze LCD headphones
3. Hifiman headphones.
4. Akg k712 pros
5. Audio-technacia m50x
6. Sennheiser hd600’s or hd800’s

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #36 of 51
*Abyss 1266 phi tc
*Susvara
**Sennheiser HE90

* : In Canada it’s just about impossible to try out the Abyss or Susvara. I’d have to live in either Montreal or Toronto. Even Vancouver doesn’t have many quality Audio stores. The only one I’m aware of doesn’t carry these.

In my case it’s even more so because I live in a small maritime village. The nearest and only big city is Halifax and the two Audio stores don’t carry these models. Even if they did, I wouldn’t be able to afford them.

** : A simple listening session with these would be a dream come true.
The most important thing you have to do when you go to try them is "leave your wallet at home" :beerchug:

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #37 of 51
Before Covid, I could take a short trip to Tokyo, and listen to just about any high-end headphone I wanted to listen to. Last time I was there, I spent some time listening to these beauties:

20171118_154256.jpg

Seems like a lifetime ago. I haven't been there since 2019. And while I absolutely love my Sundaras, I'm really interested in checking out some of Hifiman's higher-end models. Would love to hear the Arya, HEKse, and of course Susvara.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #40 of 51
Jun 10, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #43 of 51
Headphones I want to try next are no longer sold - Beyerdynamic DT770 600 Ohm. As the 600 Ohm transducers are the same as in 880/990 I plan to buy a pair and use a 770 Pro shell to house them. I have the 600 Ohm 880 & 990 and they are superior to their 250 Ohm versions so I doubt I will be disappointed.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #44 of 51
One day i want to get Hifiman Ananda but for now i'm happy with my HE-500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back