Which headphone amp is better?
Nov 19, 2004 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rincewind

1000+ Head-Fier
Which headphone amp provides biggest bang for buck?

Headroom Little "Premium Module" (the Little with the electronics upgrade) or the
Headroom Little "More Power" (Little with the power supply upgrade).

Both sell for US$459. The Little with both upgrades is out of my budget.
They will be fed with a lossless from a Chaintech and go into HD650's.

Thanks for any opinions/user experience.

Nov 19, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 9
This realy should be posted in the Amps forum, but I 'll respond anyway.
wink.gif

I haven't heard the headroom amps, but I expect you will find many people here steering you to other amps instead. With that kind of money you could buy a kickass PPA, a good meier amp, a singlepower, and many others. The singlepower amps are supposed to be a great match for senns, for exampe. I'd recommend you do some reseach here on those choices using the search function before you settle on one of the entry-level headroom amps.

Nov 19, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 9
I'd advise you upgrade your source first, it matters more than any headphone amlifier upgrade [at this level]. I got a pretty good amp when I still had a ****** source, and it doesnt make much of a difference. With a better source, it shined. Get an EMU, you'll still have 350$/250$ to spend on an amp.

Nov 19, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
I'd advise you upgrade your source first, it matters more than any headphone amlifier upgrade [at this level]. I got a pretty good amp when I still had a ****** source, and it doesnt make much of a difference. With a better source, it shined. Get an EMU, you'll still have 350$/250$ to spend on an amp.

Definately agree. Take care of getting a better source first then worry about a headphone amp to go with it. The AV-710 is good for $25 but doesn't hold a candle to something like the $100 E-Mu 0404
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 9
The premium module would be wasted on a Little with the stock power supply. The P/S upgrade is the better option if you're determined to spend your money in Montana.

Nov 20, 2004 at 6:53 AM Post #7 of 9
I don't know why everyone bashes headroom gear. Some of my most memorable experiences EVER listening to headphone gear was delivered while jacked into a headroom product. I think that these amps positively shine with senn gear, and perform admirably with other brands, as well as having proven people standing behind them in case you ever want to upgrade, break the thing, or have any questions.

I think that the little is a great amp, and that if you've got that kind of money to spend (as well as having a source upgrade in the future to go along with it) then you'd probably be more than happy.

Nov 20, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murdoch
With that kind of money you could buy a kickass PPA

i totally second that. a high spec ppa (high quality caps, silver wiring, good RCA jacks)..and later on if you choose to do so you can add the diamond buffer, stepped attuenator etc.

plus the guys on the forums do a great job.
a basic/general amp buying intro guide

and try to start threads in the appropriate forums
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back