Which Head Phones for Home cinema?
Aug 15, 2002 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Ian Milton

New Head-Fier
I live in the UK and I need a rig to be able to watch movies late at night. I want a good head phone system that will bring the drama over yet keep the dialogue clear. Any suggestions?
Budget is about £100 - £300.

All the best

Ian

Aug 15, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 29
Ian

Welcome to Head-Fi

You have quite a range roughly 154-463 USD.

I have tried using the headphones I have with and without and amplifier to watch movies. I found the cord to be a nusiance since my source was some distance from my chair for TV watching. I quickly became convinced that wireless headphones were the way to go for me if I wanted headphones. I never did buy them as I found that for movies I prefer speakers. Perhaps others here have an workable option for you to consider.

Aug 15, 2002 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 29
I dunno if you have a half decent receiver, but i've found the Sennheiser HD580's to sound quite good with movies (that don't have explosions, that duty should be left to the Beyer 770s's).

With the Senn's vocals are clear as day and their very non-fatiguing headphones.

Aug 15, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 29
my cd1700 are perfect ht headphones. voices, music and sound effects are natural and clear. plus they are very comfortable for long periods, and even seem to reproduce surround effects well.

Aug 15, 2002 at 11:00 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
my cd1700 are perfect ht headphones. voices, music and sound effects are natural and clear. plus they are very comfortable for long periods, and even seem to reproduce surround effects well.

I agree with Red with the CD1700s, but... I'd also throw in the Sony MDR-F1.. the most comfortable headphones on the planet (lol... gotta be contraversial) and... the whole idea behind their production is to be as airy, and natural as possible... and it DOES work that way, as long as you don't like bright treble

Aug 15, 2002 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan

I agree with Red with the CD1700s, but... I'd also throw in the Sony MDR-F1.. the most comfortable headphones on the planet (lol... gotta be contraversial) and... the whole idea behind their production is to be as airy, and natural as possible... and it DOES work that way, as long as you don't like bright treble

No question, the MDR-F1s are the most comfortable headphones on the planet
wink.gif
They've got good bass, and the high end is very respectable, Where they seem to hurt is the all-critical midrange. Vocals tend to be well back in the mix. Difficult to pick out separate instruments...everything is smeared together. They can still be a fun listen on certain kinds of music that aren't very demanding in the mids.

Aug 15, 2002 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 29
I use senn hd600 and headphone little for movies as well as music and find the combo to work well for both, headroom recommends beyerdynamic dt331 as the ultimate tv headphones, but I cannot comment to that as I have not heard them.

Aug 16, 2002 at 9:40 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter

Thanks for the pointer Shifter.

Who makes the cd1700s and what is a good head amp to drive them?

Ian

Aug 16, 2002 at 9:43 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by sideswiped
how far are you gonna be from your setup? coach across room? chair near screen and audio setup?

Thanks for the Q Wiper, I will be pretty close to the TV so I will be hard wired to the set.

Aug 16, 2002 at 9:45 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
I use senn hd600 and headphone little for movies as well as music and find the combo to work well for both, headroom recommends beyerdynamic dt331 as the ultimate tv headphones, but I cannot comment to that as I have not heard them.

Thanks for that response.

What is the headphone little?

Aug 16, 2002 at 9:51 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch

No question, the MDR-F1s are the most comfortable headphones on the planet
wink.gif
They've got good bass, and the high end is very respectable, Where they seem to hurt is the all-critical midrange. Vocals tend to be well back in the mix. Difficult to pick out separate instruments...everything is smeared together. They can still be a fun listen on certain kinds of music that aren't very demanding in the mids.

Ta Hirsh.

I'm partial to a good midrange, for me the voiced communication is the most important regardless of which art form is being listened to so the MDR-F1s probably wont float my boat.

Ian

Aug 16, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Ian Milton

Thanks for the pointer Shifter.

Who makes the cd1700s and what is a good head amp to drive them?

Ian

they are sony mdr-cd1700, and i use them with a cha47 (made by jmt on this board) amp. they are hard to find but check around, i've heard some places in the uk still stock them.

Aug 16, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #15 of 29
i can't believe nobody has thought of this yet but: why not the akg hearo 999 system? since you're in europe i'd get them from meier audio.

http://www.meier-audio.com/

i think it is close-enough to your price range, especially if you're willing to spend the money to get the "best" of the tv-watching experience (i did not audiotion them at the headroom world tour). this product was, however, designed to do this exactly though.

personally, i'm all about the two-channel and i use my hd600/cardas for dvd watching (i do not watch broadcast television) and i find them to be quite wonderful for doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back