Which full sized phone(s) is/are UE-5C and UE-10 comparable to?
Dec 3, 2004 at 10:14 AM Post #3 of 6
Using the UE10 Pro, AKG K1000, Sony 3000, Beyer 770 Pro and Grado RS1 I must say that if I´m not using the UE´s I use the RS1. It has less bass, less impact on bass, less resolution in treble but the overall sonic signature is comparable to the UE´s. They are also very relaxing when listening long periods of time.

Dec 3, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 6
I don't think UE-10 sounds like any other full size headphones. Perhaps DT880 with less airiness and spaciousness (which takes away a lot of what makes DT880 unique). UE5c isn't even really comparable, because although it's better than Ety ER-4 and E5c, it does not match up against full-size headphones in the same price class at all.

I think the RS-1 had a richer and warmer sound than the UE-10 Pro, UE-10 Pro is really more "cold" than neutral, imo. The most they have in common is the lack of frontal soundstage, although the rest of the soundstage presentation isn't anything that feels remotely alike either..

Dec 6, 2004 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
That's interesting. I've heard so much that the UE-10 is really neutral, but you enjoy it similarly to the Grados. Do you think the UE-10s neutrality/lack of musicality has been overstated at times?

I find them very musical and analytical at the same time.
My opinion probably depends on the kind of music I´m listening to, which is rock.
Years ago I owned a Stax-Signature electrostatic headphone with a class-A transistor amplifier. This combination was really unsatisfying having an extremely high resolution but no real musical body combined with a very cold presentation. That was the reason why I changed to AKG K1000 in combination with Kenwood C1000 Preamp and Parasound 2200 Poweramp. Except with Ety 4S and P I have not compared the UE10 to other IEM´s but when I first heard the UE10 I was immedeatly enthusiastic about the overwhelming almost livelike dynamic performance which I think is the extraordinary property of them. For my taste however the bass a little too strong. Meanwhile I have found the perfect combination which is the Meier Prehead (now on sale at Meier´s site). This greatly enhances the UE10´s ability of high resolution in mids and highs and brings a lean hard bass with great definition. From all the stuff I have owned in the last 30 or so years this is for me the end of all searching - the ideal combination. Sometimes however if have to be acoustically within reach (telephone ...) and that is the time where I use the RS1 - now also with the Prehead. That is equally a great combination very musical and satisfying. Hope it answers your question...
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back