Which full-size cans sounds similar to Audeo/Ety?
Jul 14, 2009 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

adam_eu

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I really like the sound signature of my Audeo and ER6i. And because I'm going to buy full-size cans for home use, I'm wondering which one will sound similar to these iems, but with bigger soundstage?
Budget: 200$ (willing to buy used stuff)
My source will be Xonar STX. I havn't bought it yet, but i think that this will be best option for me (because of price-quality ratio, and option to use it as a gaming card).

regards
adam

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 9
I can't give a good answer to your question directly based on my own experiences, but...

The closest I've heard to Etys (although I'm basing this off the ER4 not ER6) is the Sony SA5000, but they are a bit outside your budget (though there is great deal for a pair on Audiogon right now - $300). If you can swing these, you won't be disappointed.

The AKG K701 shares many of the strengths of Etys (detail, speed, clarity) and has a huge soundstage, but may not be driven well from your soundcard.

Although I've never heard them, the Beyerdynamic DT48 is also supposed to share many of the virtues of the Etys, although its soundstage isn't supposed to be great.

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for answer.
I thought about k701 too but - as You said - my source isn't good enough for them. Maybe in future.
SA5000... oh man, if I only had 300$
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe DT880 pro? What do You think?

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 9
I was fairly disappointed with the DT880 pro relative to my Etys. I wrote up a brief comparison a while ago here. Long story short, the DT880s had a nice detailed treble, decent bass and a good soundstage, but they were a little slow and lacked the remarkable mids of my Etys and overall failed to really draw me in, and were sold soonafter.

I don't know much about the lower-end Sonys, but maybe someone else can comment on whether the SA1000 or SA3000 might be your cup of tea?

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for link to comparsion. It's written well and it helped me a lot.
But i think that for now I'm not looking for "headphone of my life". I'm still student and I simply can't afford many things that I'll like to have (like SA5000 or decent tube amp).
So any good (not best) headphone with sound signature of Audeo will be good.
After studies I'll build my real setup with good DAC, tube amp and better cans.
So i think that SQ level of DT880 will be good enough. And if it has more bass and bigger soundstage than ER4P - as You said - than it should sound like Audeo
smily_headphones1.gif
and be what I'm looking for. Correct me if I'm wrong.

About SA3000... I searched for reviews and this phones looks unpopular. Why?

Any other suggestions? Come on guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 9
IMO the AD700 shares similar characteristics of PFE with grey filters in highs and lows. Mids are more forward on PFE and AD700 is obviously tons wider, but otherwise I feel that they have similar SQ.

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 9
Ok, so I'm chosing between DT880 and K701.
I though also about Grado 225/325, but i don't know if they're good at jazz, classical and acoustic which i listen to a lot. What do You think?

Oh, and do You think that K701/DT880 pluged directly to STX will sound good? Maybe they are too good for this sound card?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back