Which extra tips for UM1?
Mar 21, 2006 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

slidemasterx

New Head-Fier
I'll finally be getting my first IEM and since it's expensive to ship to my location, I'll planning to buy tips in advance so I can buy it together with the UM1. First, are stock tips of the UM1 enough to make me happy? If not which other tips should I be buying? thanks

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 12
Where are you buying the from first of all? If you get them from earphonesolutions, you get free triflanges and 2 sets of short complys and 2 sets of standard(long) comply tips. I have actually found that they are all comfortable in my ears, but right now I am using the triflanges modded to biflanges with the stems cut because they are quicker to put in.

P.S. I emailed etymotic the other day about buying some tips but was unsure of which size to get and she said they could send me a "sampler pack" that included some biflanges and small foamies. Might be a good way to get a few free tips and figure out which ones fit you the best. But don't abuse this so they wont offer a free sampler pack to people who genuinely plan on buying tips from etymotic in the future.

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by slidemasterx
I'll be ordering from the earplug superstore because I have another item to return and I'll have free shipping when I order an IEM

http://store.yahoo.com/earplugstore/er915and25pr.html

Do the Etymotic tips fit on the Westones?

Yes from what I have heard here on the forums etymotic tips fit um1 and so do shure tips. Just do a search for like etymotic um1 and tips or something like that

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 12
I can confirm that ety tips do fit the UM1s. I've got the er-6i, and the UM1, and the tips are interchangable. I actually think the Westone complys are better than the Etymotic ones. Ety bi-flange and tri-flange tips work great. The sound is a little different compared to the comply tips, but it's a lot easier to get them settled in the ear right.

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 12
i like short comply tips...but u have to get new pairs periodically as the comply tips will get dirty and harder gradually...so it will cost u some money using comply tips in long term...

so i am using modded shure biflanges...it's washable and the sound is not bad...

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #8 of 12
I find the gray soft flex Shure tips to be the most comfortable. Better than the triflange, biflange, comply tips, Etymotic foam tips, or Westone foam kits.

I think you might be able to buy a "fit kit" of different Shure tips together directly from Shure and that gives you a large selection of tips of difficult natures and sizes to compare.

Mar 22, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #10 of 12
The foam tips are generally said to give the best isolation.

Mar 22, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 12
Thanks for your replies guys.
580smile.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #12 of 12
Hi all! I was wondering about the tips too. I want a little more isolation and easier time putting it into my ears than the triflange. Should i just cut it to a biflange? How much do these kits cost from Shure? I didn't see anything about them on their website. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back