which electrostat has the fullest sound
Feb 28, 2019 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Sound Eq

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi everyone

I was wondering which of the totl flagship electrostats has the fullest sound, and has more bass with rich mids without any harshness in the highs

I have my Shure KSE1500 which sounds amazing, this is something I would like to have in a full size headphone, the KSE1500 put a total end for me to look at any other iems, it has good bass and great mids and highs. It is perfect literally perfect. The reason why I mentioned Shure KSE1500 is to reference the full sound and rich sound done in perfection, so people will not think I am after a basshead signature

So now is the search to get the same shure kse1500 sound but in full headphone size

So I guess the contenders are

1- Stax 007 or 009s
2- Mr Speakers Voce
3- Hifiman

Please share your opinion

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 29
Hi everyone

I was wondering which of the totl flagship electrostats has the fullest sound, and has more bass with rich mids without any harshness in the highs

I have my Shure KSE1500 which sounds amazing, this is something I would like to have in a full size headphone, the KSE1500 put a total end for me to look at any other iems, it has good bass and great mids and highs. It is perfect literally perfect. The reason why I mentioned Shure KSE1500 is to reference the full sound and rich sound done in perfection, so people will not think I am after a basshead signature

So now is the search to get the same shure kse1500 sound but in full headphone size

So I guess the contenders are

1- Stax 007 or 009s
2- Mr Speakers Voce
3- Hifiman

Please share your opinion

I haven't heard the Voce or any of the hifiman electrostatic headphones, but stax sounded weak in the bass department to me. Some stax models can be modded I believe. You might want to look into what can be done.

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 29
Stax 009s has pretty decent bass compared to it's predecessor. Moreso than the Voce. But the Voce had better imaging and flatter/tighter bass. Overall, the Stax 009s was a little more "exciting" to listen to when compared to the more neutral sounding Voce. But based on my memory, I did prefer the HiFiMan Shangri-La. Especially plugged into a HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE. I haven't had a chance to compare all three head to head in the same listening session. I've compared SR-009s vs Shangri-La and 009s vs Voce. The Voce overall has probably the best bang for the buck, though. It's so well made. Voce's build quality is better than both the Stax and HiFiMan.

Mar 31, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 29
...I have my Shure KSE1500 which sounds amazing, this is something I would like to have in a full size headphone...

Is there something in particular that makes you want a full-size electrostat to go along with the KSE1500? Is it long-term comfort?

The reason I ask is I know many folks use the KSE1500 with their desktop systems, not just for portable use. Jude uses his KSE1200 with his full size desktop Schiit and Chord DACs.

I've been eyeballing the KSE1200 but for that kind of money I need to do my due diligence! Any feedback is appreciated!

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 29
From personal experience with the SR-009S, I think the amplifier makes a huge difference. I used to use a Stax SRM-D50 and the bass was lacking. Not so with my kgsshv carbon.

Just a word of caution, if you're thinking of using a transportable (as opposed to a truly portable) amp like the stax srm-d10, you'll miss out on the bass and also on the detail. Nevertheless, I wouldn't get rid of my d10 because it allows me to take my 009S to any room in my home

Mar 31, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 29
The fullest sound for me is;

HE90 - This is still the best ever. It should not be to anyone surprise.

007MK1 - This is Stax best headphone I heard next to Omega 1993. This is the fullest you can get.

1993 Omega - This has extreme highs but it was smooth without any grain, bass is weak. But all estats suck at bass. Except the MK1

Jade 1 - 99.9% of people will never hear this. It is deep and full. The whole point of this was to compete with the HE90.

HE60 - very good contender to be #1. Just falls short compare to the other ones

009S - a modern take of a Estats. Its full but still thin.

Koss-950 - this was actually to me a nice warm full sounding one. A little weak overall.

Sigma Pro - Muddy and dark - lacks treble. Maybe too dark. But a very full body sound

Shangri-la SR - too expensive. But full. But overprice

Shangri-la JR - treble murder, but smooth. Its too bright. Not full

Perun Estats has the sound you want. But its foreign so. Guess no one will ever know :p

11183400.jpeg
11184003.jpeg

j111.jpeg
j.jpeg
jj.jpeg
jjj.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 29
@USAudio

sorry no. Only the ones I name I heard and a few lambdas

Mar 31, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #9 of 29
Just have to accept it, the stax general sound isn't going to sound that full to most. It excels in speed, detail, air, out of head experience, imaging, etc (of which, most headphones just can't compare). From what I've heard the MK1 is actually a really good balance and the most full sounding I've heard.. it is very hard to drive and needs a really good amp but it is excellent. Certainly the most weight and bass I've heard in a stat... The 009 in comparison is superior with the technical basics mentioned but a brighter and somewhat thinner for sure, with HE60 nearly like a medium between the two imo.

Can't speak on the newer stats..

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #10 of 29
Just have to accept it, the stax general sound isn't going to sound that full to most. It excels in speed, detail, air, out of head experience, imaging, etc (of which, most headphones just can't compare). From what I've heard the MK1 is actually a really good balance and the most full sounding I've heard.. it is very hard to drive and needs a really good amp but it is excellent. Certainly the most weight and bass I've heard in a stat... The 009 in comparison is superior with the technical basics mentioned but a brighter and somewhat thinner for sure, with HE60 nearly like a medium between the two imo.

Can't speak on the newer stats..
bhse-satin-gray-lifestyle-cabinet-banner_2048x2048.jpg

Agree. The 009/009s driven by the BHSE with NOS Mullards is about as good as you will ever get a Stax to sound. Not heard the T2 yet. I left the electrostatics eventually as it didn't sound close enough to reality, more a stethoscope to detail, but lacking in everything else inc bass weight, soundstage width etc. The 009 had a strange way of over egging the mid treble presence region, which grated on my ears somewhat. The Sennheiser HE-1 system shows it can be done right, but at a cost. Planars can get to the HE-1 sound for a lot less money if you build a system around their strengths (IMO).

Apr 1, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 29
Fullest currently available IMO is the Voce. The 007 would be the only near alternate. I never heard any of the legends of yesteryear - like the HE90, so I can't judge them.

The Voce on the HFM Jr is the greatest combo I've heard.

Apr 1, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #12 of 29
bhse-satin-gray-lifestyle-cabinet-banner_2048x2048.jpg

Agree. The 009/009s driven by the BHSE with NOS Mullards is about as good as you will ever get a Stax to sound. Not heard the T2 yet. I left the electrostatics eventually as it didn't sound close enough to reality, more a stethoscope to detail, but lacking in everything else inc bass weight, soundstage width etc. The 009 had a strange way of over egging the mid treble presence region, which grated on my ears somewhat. The Sennheiser HE-1 system shows it can be done right, but at a cost. Planars can get to the HE-1 sound for a lot less money if you build a system around their strengths (IMO).

Yea, I think that's pretty fair. With the Hugo 2 as the dac, the warm filter really blends well with the strengths and weaknesses of the 009. I also like them neutral without a filter, but some songs for sure get too hot. Still overall, it's a really really impressive phone for me with the BHSE. Top 5 that I've heard, but definitely with some flaws some will just hate.

I think the HE60 and MK1 are really really great values and will appeal to a lot of people.. only thing I question at times is are their newer cans with better technology and similar capabilities for cheaper. But stax take a hefty investment, makes a lot of sense that people enjoy for a bit of time and then sale off when no longer using enough to justify the cost. I don't live with my gf yet but anticipating within a year or so, I'll definitely be liquidating then since I won't be able to use frequently lol

Apr 2, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #14 of 29
The Kaldas RR 1 is definitely one of the fullest e-stats I've heard, honestly surprised it wasn't mentioned until now as when I think of full sounding and e-stat I think of the RR 1.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #15 of 29
Looking for a full sound aka bass included..and you’re looking at estats?
Hmmm sounds a bit like searching for a warm Beyer.
JK...but yeah I think you’d be far better off looking at a planar instead. The only estat I’ve ever heard described as being full/warm is the recent RR1, as mentioned by a few posters above me...but I have never listened to it and generally don’t like folks recommending headphones on a whim or because Z/DMS/Dolly Parton said so.
Planars and estats though are more alike than dynamics and estats. It’s the low distortion numbers methinks...but whereas most estats are all about the ethereal detail, planars tend to warm up the sound...though recently Hifiman has been tuning their headphones in an almost electrostatic manner with oodles of air up top. They retain their wonderful bass qualities..but yeah after reading the OP that was my first thought: ‘He should be looking at a planar..not an estat.’

Edith: Can’t believe I forgot to mention the LCD-2C. This headphone is about as clean sounding as they come AND furthermore comes with the (in)famous 1 k peak like most Stax do. Not sure why Stax tune their headphones like this, or Audeze for that matter, but it would seem that many rather dig this colouration.
First thing I thought when I bought my LCD-2C was that it sounded like a warm estat. Still sounds that way to me.
Anyways just before you start throwing crazy dough at electrostatic voodoo...may wanna check out a planar at half the cost beforehand:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back