Which earphones for 15yo iPod user?
Mar 17, 2006 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

fvoelling

New Head-Fier
Hi,

My son "needs" (his claim) new earphones for his video iPod and was bugging me about the $100 Shure model at Best Buy. Now he wants the Etymotic 6i. He mainly listens to Rock and Rap, and watches TV shows on his iPod.

After doing a bit or reading here, a lot of people seem to like the Altec Lansing IM716 better than the above models. However, one concern noted by several users is the IM716's tendency to exhibit "microphonics", and since my son often uses his iPod on the go I'm wondering how much of an issue this would be (and whether other earphones wouldn't have the same issue).

Any advice on the listed models or other potential candidates to consider (price should not exceed $120, that's already too much in my opinion but I'm willing to contribute to his funds if the IM716 are really the best buy of the bunch)?

Thanks,
Frank

Mar 17, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 25
so are you strictly sticking to IEM(like shure) or are you open to earclips and portable cans like the hd25-1 and ksc-25?

Mar 17, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #3 of 25
lol when i was 15 i lose alot of stuff, then again, i "needed" alot of stuff too. But the shure model at bestbuy can be had on ebay for ~$60 or the bst?

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 25
The shures sound pretty terrible, if you want want one of the two get the ER-6i, they sound good plus have a tons of isolation from outside noise, of course that may not be a good thing when your yelling at him to turn that thing off
biggrin.gif
. Also since fullsize cans are getting pretty popular now, have you thought about buying one for him or just sticking to iems? The Senn HD555s can be had for less than a hundred bucks and sound a lot better than either of the two iems listed, no noise isolation though.

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 25
Which Shures are you talking about? I have tried the E3c and E4c and I can testify that they don't sound terrible at all! I've also had two pairs of ER6i and the ER4P/S. I can tell you for what sort of music your son likes to listen to, the Shures will be the better alternative. They are slightly fuller sounding and have a slightly more prominent bass and lower midrange. They (Shures) don't have the same detail and crystal-clear highs that Etymotics have though. The ER6i are also smaller and have a much lighter cable. Is there anyway you could try them? For the record, Shures don't sound terrible.

Mar 17, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
The shures sound pretty terrible, if you want want one of the two get the ER-6i, they sound good plus have a tons of isolation from outside noise, of course that may not be a good thing when your yelling at him to turn that thing off
biggrin.gif
. Also since fullsize cans are getting pretty popular now, have you thought about buying one for him or just sticking to iems? The Senn HD555s can be had for less than a hundred bucks and sound a lot better than either of the two iems listed, no noise isolation though.

That's news to me!
rolleyes.gif
I guess I better go through my e4c's in the garbage now. Thanks for letting me know!

Mar 17, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #8 of 25
Sorry, being that he only mentioned the E2Cs (which are the only Shures Best Buy sells for $100) I assumed any reader would understand that I was talking about the E2Cs, obviously not. The E5s and E4Gs sound great as I'm sure do the E500s. The bass on the E2s were way too muddy and bloated for me and definitely not suited for rock, rap maybe, but not Alternative, or Rock.

Mar 17, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #9 of 25
OK...well after lurking in these forums, I have a suggestion. Go for the Creatve EP-630s. They are cheap, have youngin' bass, and have decent highs. Price, performance BABY!!

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 25
Thx for the suggestions thus far, guys! I like the price of the EP-630, they may be worth a try.

He definitely wants the sound-isolating type, and when I proposed full-sized cans to him before he just gave me that look and told me that he doesn't want to look like a "dork" in public. I may just buy him a pair of Koss KSC75s in addition to the IEMs for those situations where total sound isolation is not a good thing.

What about the IM716 for rock, do they have decent bass and is the "microphonics" behavior tolerable? Would they be a better choice than Etymotic 6i and Shure E2/E3?

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 25
why didn't I have cool parents like you when i was 15??

heh

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by fvoelling
What about the IM716 for rock, do they have decent bass and is the "microphonics" behavior tolerable? Would they be a better choice than Etymotic 6i and Shure E2/E3?

While the iM716 is great for rock and is capable of producing amazingly realistic sound that's the best I've heard (IMO better than the Senn HD 555), the bass is very dependent on obtaining a proper fit. "Microphonics" do occur, but I don't find them bothersome. Wind noise seems to be more of an issue with the thick cords of the iM716 than with the Etymotic ER-6.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #13 of 25
For rock and rap, I'd go with either the Shure E2 (which you can negotiate down to $55 at your local Guitar Center) or the Super.Fi 3 Studio.

The ER-6i sounds pretty decent (this coming from someone who doesn't generally like the Etymotic sound) but for rock and rap the E2 or Super.Fi 3 Studio would work better. I really like the E2 for a "fun" earphone. It doesn't have the detail of my other gear but it's still enjoyable. The Super.Fi 3 Studio retains most of the fun factor (if not all depending upon perspective), pairs well with an iPod, and has more detail so that may be the better option.

Both the E2 and the 3 Studio have very little in the way of microphonics if worn properly.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 25
i'd say giving him a pair of Sennheiser CX300's is spoiling him enough

tell him to flip a few burgers so he can get the UE 10's
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #15 of 25
I'm 15 and no one comments about me.
frown.gif

No, the CX300's won't spoil him. But maybe the Shure E4's will. ;D
Creative EP630 is easily one of the best IEM's out there for the price. I got a Sharp MD33 when it first came out... 39.99 + AC 12 shipping... (disaster in my wallet, back then shipping was 12 instead of 6)

Have fun at Head-fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back