Which earphone for long flights if comfort and noise isolation are your ONLY concern?
Jun 17, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #31 of 42
how long will the complys last me that are included with the UM1s? How many wears will I get out of each set?

I don't use my Complys daily -- I'd be interested to hear what someone who does use them daily has to say. One pointer, though: keeping your ears and your hands clean will help prolong the life of each pair (your hands, because you usually mash them down with your fingers before inserting them ... your ears, for obvious reasons.)

Enjoy your new IEMs!

Jun 18, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #32 of 42
Depend on how clean you ears are and how the canals react to the comply (some produce many wax when thing is inserted). Everyone got different mileage.

Jun 18, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #33 of 42
All my complys are pretty much used up, but I use them semi-daily and have had them since January. You can wash them a couple times, but after a while they lose their elasticity and the foam begins to come off the tubing. Id say with the 2 pairs of each size that they come with, if you only use one size and keep your ears pretty clean, they should last 2-3 months minimum. At least this was my experience. I just invested in black foamies, just waiting for them to arrive...

Jun 18, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #34 of 42
I have been following this thread as I have frequent flights to Asia and Europe and am interested in isolation and comfort. I currently use HD 280 Pro which offer decent isolation, but are just too bulky for my briefcase. They also get hot after a few hours. Do the UM1 or UM2 offer a push to hear option? Thanks

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #35 of 42
No they don't, but you can buy it separately if you think you need it (I dont). Recently wento on a 3 hr flight and UM2 with biflanges provided great isolation. The person next to me had the Bose and boy, were they big and unwieldly.

Jun 25, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #37 of 42
Great choice on the Westone UM1. They truly are the most comfortable IEM extant, especially if you fall asleep and lay on your side. Don't trust anyone who says otherwise. Their design is such that pressure is put on your ear, rather than your (far more sensitive) ear canal. Westone has been in the hearing aid business for almost 50 years, and they truly know how to make a product comfortable and unobtrusive for extended use. The UM2 definitely do sound better, but they are built into exactly the same housing, so they have exactly the same comfort level. Even as a non "audiophile", you would absolutely notice the difference. However, as a non crazy person you probably wouldn't consider it worth the extra $200. Here, we're all crazy, and the mere fact that a better model exists means we need to at least try it.

I find the comply tips to be slightly more comfortable than the Shure black foamies, but the fit kit is nonetheless a good idea if these are to be your first In-Ear monitors (IEMs). I would recommend learning how to put them in properly, as they insert differently than any other IEM's I've tried. To fit the best, they actually need to be rotated into place rather than insrted straight into your ear.

Send a PM to user "P0wderhound", a Westone employee, for more information once you pick up your UM1s.

Have a good flight, and be sure to bring some music you haven't heard before. Regardless of your tastes, I think the Decemberists album "The Crane Wife" is great plane listening, especially if you know the folk tale behind it.

Jun 25, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by vo328 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure E500/SE530 is the way to go... with the olive/black foams. Fantastic comfort and noise isolation for hours on end. To be able to fall asleep with IEMs on and not wake up in pain is a real testament to them.

Yeah, I fell asleep with the 500s in the other night. When I woke up many hours later (IIRC I got a full night's sleep) I had removed one side for whatever reason but had left the other in. I had no pain or discomfort from having it in for so many hours.

Jun 25, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #39 of 42
"how do you know which size to buy the first time"

The large Shure foamies are really big, and the small Shures seem to be just a bit smaller than the short Comply foams, which are (naturally) smaller than the regular Complys. So if you had to make a guess, factor in your ear canal size and go with the mediums -- or the smalls if you have really small ears.

You might find you really like the Comply foams. I love the short ones for my ER6i's, and I condsider the extra expense worth it for "rounding out" the owning/wearing/listening experience. Of course, your ears are different and you have different IEMs, so your mileage could well vary.

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #40 of 42
custom IEMs FTW. i've worn mine for a 13 hours flight straight. couldnt hear a baby crying when i had music playing.

universals didnt isolate as much and hurt my ears after 4 hours or so.

livewires seem to get nice reviews, and they're affordable too.

but you cna always go the whole hog and get ue10/11, sensa etc

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #42 of 42
if you really think that you DO have very small ear canals, perhaps I can speak from some personal advise. a very good friend of mine suffers from the same problem, very narrow ear canals, and has gone through countless pairs of etys, shures, and UEs, trying to find SOMETHING, anything that fits him comfortably without causing discomfort - much money spent later , still nothing. unless your willing to go all out and get something custom molded, which might be the "best" route, you may want to checkout something like the yuin pk1. the SQ on those little babies is incredible, but obviously the isolation wouldnt be "aS" good as ones that physically JAM into ur ear canals - obviously. although i honestly dont think that would be a huge issue, its not like the airplane is the NOISIEST place in the world..ive used pk1s on a busy noisy city bus and had no quarrel with the amount of sound leaking IN. just something to think about at least..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back