Which earpads for RS-1?
Mar 15, 2006 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

robm321

Headphoneus Supremus
This is probably a tired topic, but I couldn't find a thread that really answered any questions.

I have the flat pads that I use with my RS-1's and I lost one of my bowl pads rendering the other one useless. Like having one shoe.

So, I'm ready to drop $100 for a C-pad, but it sounds like they may not better the flats or bowls. I also have the 414's.

The problem with pads:

Bowls = top loaded - bright with trumpets or any other high pitched instrument, lacking bass

but... Good soundstage, imaging, sparkle.

Flats = bottom loaded - severly rolled off highs, pathetic imaging, no soundstage - just sound in a tube in your head like IEM

but... lush midrange, fluid smooth sound, no brightness whatsoever

414's (modded)... unfocused bass, treble doesn't sparkle and bass doesn't impress.
but... more balanced?

This isn't meant to be a review but my lackings for the different pad options.

My question is: Would the C-pads better any of this? which C-pads do what? Should I just order another set of bowls and except my pad rolling fate?

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 16
never mind - was going to order the Cpads, but after reading a few threads, it sounds like they aren't any good. Plus the lack of enthusiasm by answering this thread just reinforces that. Pocketbook is safe.

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 16
Maybe you should give your thread a little more time before jumping to conclusions about the level of enthusiasm about your inquiry? It's been less than 12 hours. Just a suggestion.

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
never mind - was going to order the Cpads, but after reading a few threads, it sounds like they aren't any good. Plus the lack of enthusiasm by answering this thread just reinforces that. Pocketbook is safe.

Oh, I'd say they're good.
evil_smiley.gif

joehp2mod.jpg

Darn good.
very_evil_smiley.gif

IMG_0002.jpg

*Un-safes the Pocketbook*
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 16
You're right I was definately hasty - I guess I was hoping not to hear good things, but that big ol' fat picture looks very nice and tempting - The flats would be perfect if it had more highs and a better soundstage. I just feel funny hearing the instruments but not really being able to imagine them anywhere, like sound out of a void (hard to explain), and not hearing any sparkle in the highs.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #8 of 16
Flats = Grado Perfection

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I lost one of my bowl pads rendering the other one useless.

I'll take it, I have the missing twin.

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #10 of 16
Personally, I prefer the bowls with the RS-1, but there are times when the flats are the best. As for the 414 pads, I don't like them, both modded & unmodded. The pads position on your ears has a lot to do with the sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:38 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
Have you tried reverse bowls? They still have some soundstage but are less harsh and have better bass presence than bowls worn normally.

I prefered the reverse bowls over everything exept the cpads which have never tried.They do still to me have the harsh highs and that never went away but yes the bass was increased.

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #12 of 16
I haven't tried reverse bowls, and now may not get to - maybe I can use my second pair of bowls that I hacked up on a DIY attempt awhile back?!?

saturnine, that's pretty much how I feel. The bowls are great, but on some stuff the bowls are too painful and the flats smooth everything out.

I may need to order another pair just to have regardless of whether I get the Cpads or not.

ebteeiii, If you are serious - I can send this to you (half a bowl). With my luck, I'll find the other one as soon as I send it, but no sense in only having one.

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #14 of 16
Try taped bowls.

I didn't like stock bowls because they were a bit thin. I really didn't like reversed bowls because, while having a generally better sound, they were extremely uncomfortable.

The taped bowls are like stock bowls, only with a more prominent lower end and a fuller sound overall.. and the mod takes about a minute to do.

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanks for the suggestions - anyone else compare the bowls, flats to the Cpads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back