Which do you prefer Ear + HD or HD2 ???
Aug 26, 2007 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

fc911c

500+ Head-Fier
Your thought's on the two, I will be using them with my Grado's, accept the GS1K.

I would like to build the kit which limits me the the HD at the moment unless there is a kit offered soon, but SQ is always the deciding factor for me.

So anyone who has heard or own's one or both please feel free comment.

Thanks
Frank

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 33
I have had my Ear + Purist HD100 for almost two years. I had the Ear + Purist HD150 for a few weeks. The HD150 was the predecessor of the current HD2.

IMO the HD is a better sounding amp. It has a deeper bass and a gutsier punch. Unless the HD2 has been massaged to give it more bass I would choose the HD.

Hopefully others will chime in with their impressions.

Aug 27, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had my Ear + Purist HD100 for almost two years. I had the Ear + Purist HD150 for a few weeks. The HD150 was the predecessor of the current HD2.

IMO the HD is a better sounding amp. It has a deeper bass and a gutsier punch. Unless the HD2 has been massaged to give it more bass I would choose the HD.

Hopefully others will chime in with their impressions.

Thanks for the info. I guess I will wait to hear if the HD2 has more Bass than the HD, which would be a good thing I would think with the Grado's.

Thanks
Frank

Aug 27, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 33
The HD2 uses the new production ECC99 vs the NOS 12B4A in the Ear+ HD. I have been trying out the ECC99's in various amps and I dont find the ECC99 tube to sound as clear, resolving and punchy as the 12B4A. I definitely do enjoy the standard Ear+ HD with my Alessandro MS2 or Grado SR-225. I would go with the Ear+ HD.

The new white/ black color scheme is nice.
cool.gif

mapltreeearsuperwhite.jpg

But, I still associate the red/black color scheme as the signature Mapletree Ear+ look.

aug25_meet%20004.jpg

Aug 27, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 33
Nice pictures thanks. ok that's 2 votes for the HD. keepem coming

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD2 uses the new production ECC99 vs the NOS 12B4A in the Ear+ HD. I have been trying out the ECC99's in various amps and I dont find the ECC99 tube to sound as clear, resolving and punchy as the 12B4A. I definitely do enjoy the standard Ear+ HD with my Alessandro MS2 or Grado SR-225. I would go with the Ear+ HD.

The new white/ black color scheme is nice.
cool.gif

mapltreeearsuperwhite.jpg

But, I still associate the red/black color scheme as the signature Mapletree Ear+ look.

aug25_meet%20004.jpg

Aug 27, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #6 of 33
I have not heard the HD before. My HD2 has about 650 hours on it now. Initially the HD2 did seem a bit lacking in punch, and that was especially obvious when compared to an SS amp side-by-side. However, I couldnt remember when...probably at about 550 hours, the HD2 just became alive. Not that it was lethargic in the first place. It definitely became punchier. Maybe it's placebo, or maybe it's the amp burning in. As for bass, anything that can make my RS-1 vibrate on my ears cant really be that bad
rs1smile.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #7 of 33
I love my custom Ear + Purist which has the same components as the current
Ear HD model.

I've been listening to my headphones through this amp for 3yrs and I built this one as well as two others ( for friends ) from the kit.

EarPurist.jpg

I couldn't be happier
600smile.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoweArt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ear HD model.

You have a Ear + Purist
eek.gif

Can't wait to read you opinion about Cantate as many say Opera/Cante/Aria have a tubey sound signature, you still didn't received it yet ?

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #9 of 33
Riceboy and I have recently done a head to head comparison of the HD vs the HD2.

I am preparing a full review/comparison, but here is the brief version:

I did both blind and non-blind comparisons between the two amps and I must say that I do not have much confidence that I could tell them apart in a controlled blind test if the levels were truly matched within 0.5 db or less.

That being said, I was able to distinguish some very slight differences when comparing them openly. In short, the HD sounded a bit more "warm" and "tubey" while the HD2 sounded "cleaner" and more "accurate", but again we're talking small differences.

On the whole, the HD2 clearly wins out for three main features: (1) the use of more readily available tubes, (2) the dual headphone jacks, and (3) the need for only two tubes as opposed to three (meaning its less expensive over the long haul, albeit only slightly).

Aug 27, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have a Ear + Purist
eek.gif

Can't wait to read you opinion about Cantate as many say Opera/Cante/Aria have a tubey sound signature, you still didn't received it yet ?

Hi Lerio,

Yes, my Ear is the + purist ! Which is a couple of models before the current HD1 but at the time when I built it, I up-spec'd to Auricaps, Blackgates and Hexfred Fast Diodes so in essence, I had the HD1 before it came to be !
wink.gif

I'm still patiently ( checking post office every day now ) waiting for my Cantate to arrive and I have even purchased a pair of Grado SR80's in the interim whilst waiting ! I'll certainly be posting a review once the Cantate arrives and I "burn it" in ! Should be interesting to make a comparison with the Ear and also Darkvoice 336i. I have to say I have high expectations because all my previous solid state headphone amps I've tried, I've re-sold
because they weren't to my liking ( too fatiguing ). It's been a little over 2wks since my Cantate was shipped, so I hope to be seeing ( and hearing ) it soon !

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Ear HD model.

I've been listening to my headphones through this amp for 3yrs and I built this one as well as two others ( for friends ) from the kit.

EarPurist.jpg

I couldn't be happier
600smile.gif

Thats a nice looking one you got there, what's under the hood? What transforner?

Frank

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Riceboy and I have recently done a head to head comparison of the HD vs the HD2.

I am preparing a full review/comparison, but here is the brief version:

I did both blind and non-blind comparisons between the two amps and I must say that I do not have much confidence that I could tell them apart in a controlled blind test if the levels were truly matched within 0.5 db or less.

That being said, I was able to distinguish some very slight differences when comparing them openly. In short, the HD sounded a bit more "warm" and "tubey" while the HD2 sounded "cleaner" and more "accurate", but again we're talking small differences.

On the whole, the HD2 clearly wins out for three main features: (1) the use of more readily available tubes, (2) the dual headphone jacks, and (3) the need for only two tubes as opposed to three (meaning its less expensive over the long haul, albeit only slightly).

I would be interested in hearing about it in detail.

Thanks
Frank

Aug 27, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by fc911c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats a nice looking one you got there, what's under the hood? What transformer?

Frank

Thanks for your most kind comments on my custom MAD + purist
600smile.gif

All transformers used in my MAD are the Canadian made Hammond's as supplied by Dr Lloyd

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Thanks for your most kind comments on my custom MAD + purist
600smile.gif

All transformers used in my MAD are the Canadian made Hammond's as supplied by Dr Lloyd

Your welcome. I seen the round cover and was thinking Piltzer.

Frank

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by fc911c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be interested in hearing about it in detail.

Thanks
Frank

To be honest, its going to be an anticlimactic review. I had to nearly strain my ears to hear a difference between the two.

Both are more than powerful enough to drive any dynamic cans and have a very neutral/accurate sound. I don't think either one is adding or subtracting from the signal in a meaningful way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back