Which do you like better, speakers or headphones?
May 27, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #46 of 57
If I had to choose between some really hi-fi headphone setup (RS-1/RA-1 something) and an extremely high-end speaker setup, like 5.2 or something with Klipsch RF-7's and SVS's and all kinds of stuff, I'd take the speakers simply because I love the way speakers sound. You can FEEL the bass and the music around you.

May 27, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #47 of 57
I'm listening to Superbass 2 right now on my speakers, and these guys are HERE in my room with me. On my headphones, they're here in my head with me...I like them to be in my room please
tongue.gif

May 27, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #48 of 57
For me it's not even close, I'll take speakers every time. However, I can't always listen to speakers, especially after 10:00 PM, so good quality headphones are a godsend.

May 27, 2004 at 9:02 AM Post #49 of 57
Cans - you get more for less $$$, more detailed (I like details), and can go anywhere.

Speakers - no tether (cord), everyone can enjoy them without a set of cans each, the bass (with a sub) is out of this world and can be felt not just heard.

May 27, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #50 of 57
Use of a K1000 with a nearby subwoofer gives lots of detail, while also getting terrific base.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
Cans - you get more for less $$$, more detailed (I like details), and can go anywhere.

Speakers - no tether (cord), everyone can enjoy them without a set of cans each, the bass (with a sub) is out of this world and can be felt not just heard.

May 27, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #51 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Use of a K1000 with a nearby subwoofer gives lots of detail, while also getting terrific base.

Hmmm....never thought of that...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #52 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador

That is by no means a complete list. For example, yes, I understand what you mean by "tethered", but aren't you also tethered, in a way, to a pair of speakers' sweet spot? Unless you got one of them omnidirectional jobbies, in which case, never mind...but how many people get high-fi omnidirectional speakers. Usually the opposite -- the sweet spot is highly focused (in the review, I look for "how much", not "whether").

May 28, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #53 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
That is by no means a complete list. For example, yes, I understand what you mean by "tethered", but aren't you also tethered, in a way, to a pair of speakers' sweet spot? Unless you got one of them omnidirectional jobbies, in which case, never mind...but how many people get high-fi omnidirectional speakers. Usually the opposite -- the sweet spot is highly focused (in the review, I look for "how much", not "whether").

Hi-end omnipolar speakers are usually very expensive. However, their is still a well defined 'sweet spot' with this stereo application. The problem is with the stereo effect, itself. A true omnipoloar speaker can produce, however, nearly symmetretical frequency response regardless of your angle to the speaker. Therfor, you are not limited in to the listening position in regards to a proper tonal characteristic, relative to positioning. But the aspects of imaging, soundstage, etc. are still dependant on a symmetrical distance from both loudspeakers, since this is the entire premise of 'stereo'. The primary benefit of a high quality omnipolar loudspeaker is that it uses the rear and side walls as effective virtual soiund sources, usually providing a more convincing ambience effect as compared to speakers that lack this linear polar response. A typical speaker usually benefits from moderate room/reflection treatment of the 1st reflection points. An omnipolar speaker will actually be degraded by this action.

-Chris

May 28, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #54 of 57
Dusty,

In a sense yes. I'm referring to just general listening where the stereo is playing in the other room. I know the sweetspot is small and narrow, but it is only needed for critical listening sessions. For everyday listening speakers work fine from anywhere in the house.

May 28, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #55 of 57
I like the freedom of being able to move around house while listening to music. Yea, the sweet spot is narrow, but most of the time I don't really care, as long as I am immersed in a sea of music.

I really miss the Yamaha sub I sold last year, it gave me SUCH wonderful bass, music listening just isn't the same ever since.

May 28, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #56 of 57
I'm just glad I have both to choose from. Even though most people say you get better quality for less money with headphones vs speakers, I feel I gotten equal amounts with both of my setups both costing the same. When upgraded my source to the Rega Planet, for example, both my setups benefited greatly. The Rega has let my Infinity's play to their full potential. So I don't really think one way to play audio is better than the other.

And about speakers being the only way to have music as part of the background or environment, I've found I can do the same with headphones very easily. What I do is turn the volume way down. And with high quality headphones, all the details still remain (this of course depends on the quality and characteristics of the used headphone). so for me, turning the volume down on headphones perfectly replicates the feeling of having music as background noise.

Orpheus,
I dissagree that there are as "many" choices to choose from with headphones as there is with speakers. With speakers, the amount of choices to choose from is almost limitless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back