Which do you like better, speakers or headphones?
May 24, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #32 of 57
i like speakers, bucause with speakers, you can like leave the room, and still hear music. it just sounds like pink floyd is playing in the room right next to you. you dont really get that feel from headphones. im not sure whats thats called in audiophile terms but what ever!
icon10.gif

but they do both have there pros and cons, i like speakers alot more thought.

May 24, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

(Wilson) I enjoy both, and use them differently. Speakers tend to require sitting at the sweat spot to obtain the best sonic effects, and remaining in that position for a long time is difficult, but soundstage reproduction definitely exceeds headphone listening. With a pair of good headphones the ultimate details are always with you, although prolonged wearing a set on the head induces some discomfort.

I certainly agree that remaining in the sweat spot for a long time is difficult.
biggrin.gif

And I, too, enjoy both and use them differently. Ignoring the problems of apartment living and grumpy neighbors, I prefer headphones for critical listening, as has been said, and I find them involving in ways speakers are not. I can listen into the musical texture with headphones. They also let me get the impact of big orchestral and choral set pieces without rattling the china.

Most of my speaker time is spent when I'm more interested in music as an environmental component. Maybe that's the freedom someone mentioned, but I like to hang some aural wallpaper when busy with other activities.

BW

May 24, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #34 of 57
Yeah, I do find that being engulfed by nothing but music is tiring sometimes....that's where I also prefer speakers..

May 24, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #35 of 57
I nearly always prefer speakers when the opportunity arises. However, I must listen to music at levels of around 80+ db at least 90% of the time, and I cannot do this very much with speakers. Therefore headphones are a good compromise a lot of the time.

May 24, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #36 of 57
Quote:

However, I must listen to music at levels of around 80+ db at least 90% of the time

you probably know this already, but that's where permanent hearing damage starts setting in, around the 80db mark. i think it'll take a couple hours of continous listening each day, but it does start chipping off on your hearing gradually.

heh he... i have turned up my speakers past the 100db mark before (the amp has a built in DB meter)... pretty dang loud. and on 6" speakers no less!

May 25, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #38 of 57
While headphones are more convenient and you don't have to worry about things like callibration and listening position, my speaker setup just sounds a lot better. Still, for good familial and neighbor relations, I listen to my headphones much more.

May 26, 2004 at 7:08 AM Post #41 of 57
At present, headphones. Helps me to drift away and relax because the music's more intimate. Also, my apartment is small - keeps the noise levels down.
cool.gif

May 26, 2004 at 8:13 AM Post #42 of 57
I like both! and I listen to both! Although I would probably prefer a high end speaker setup over a high end headphone setup. LoL, then again, the highest quality headphone I've listened to are my HD570s so
rolleyes.gif
haha

May 26, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #44 of 57
For me: headphones, by far. They just match my listening habits more. Always in the sweet spot; rarely are there crossover issues; cheaper; etc.

May 26, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #45 of 57
I use speakers because they sound better.
I use headphones because I cant take my speakers with me on the bus/train.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back