Which do you like better, speakers or headphones?
May 24, 2004 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

null

Headphoneus Supremus
I like headphones because...

- Can enjoy my music IN PEACE (and in private!)

- You get more sound quality for your $$$

- Less selection (Which means less choices, which also means, less upgraditis!
wink.gif
)

I also like speakers, however, because...

- Can enjoy music without having to strap big plastic domes to my head. (referring to A900s)

- Can experience IMO better soundstage, crossfeeding, and "positional listening"

What about you guys? Do you prefer speakers over headphones, headphones over speakers, or both?

May 24, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 57
Actually, come to think of it, the question is not whether you prefer speakers over headphones or headphones over speakers (as this is, a HEADPHONE enthusiasts/audiophile forum!); rather it is what do you like about each.

May 24, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 57
To answer your original question, if I had a choice in the matter (live in an apartment, with SENSITIVE NEIGBORS), I would rather listen to my speakers. It gives me far greater freedom to move around without having a pair of cans tethered to my head, not to mention the amp and the PCDP I have to carry around with me all the time.

Speakers also gives me much much much better bass, soundstage. The music just seems, livelier.

But I don't have a choice in the matter, most hours of the day, so headphones it is then.

May 24, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 57
I would have to agree with you. I love how headphones have great quality and isolation, where speakers are more "fun" where your whole body FEELS the bass and the comfort to listen without having to feel the heat gather up in closed-headphones.

May 24, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 57
I had to get rid of my sub because my downstairs neigbor complained too much. Now I only have a pair of bookshelfs. I am starting to miss the bass. Headphones simply can't reproduce this kind of bass that you ENTIRE body can FEEL.

May 24, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 57
they both have their uses. if i want to hear every tiny detail in the music... or where i need to really critically listen, no speaker will ever beat a headphone in that area. but usually i can't use headphones cause i gotta move around, and they mess up my hair. and sometimes you know, you just want to feel the music too, and headphones don't really do that.

anyway, i use both. kinda comparing apples and oranges.

May 24, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
I like headphones because...

- Can enjoy my music IN PEACE (and in private!)

- You get more sound quality for your $$$

- Less selection (Which means less choices, which also means, less upgraditis!
wink.gif
)

I also like speakers, however, because...

- Can enjoy music without having to strap big plastic domes to my head. (referring to A900s)

- Can experience IMO better soundstage, crossfeeding, and "positional listening"

What about you guys? Do you prefer speakers over headphones, headphones over speakers, or both?

I think that you got part right. I agree about the privacy. I would also add that I can hear more details and get more clarity on my phones then I get from my speakers. With 2 kids and a wife headphones are a necessity because they manipulate the time in my main listening area. As far as more for the money, I will leave that to others to comment on it. I listen to my headphones because I like to listen to music without being disturbed and that’s hard in my house. I disagree about the number of choices and “upgradeitis” though. I believe that there are many choices in headphones just as there are many choices in speakers. I would be more inclined to take a chance on a $500.00 headphone than on a $5,000.00 loudspeaker.

I like speakers for soundstaging, deep bass, imaging and other types of visceral satisfaction. I find speakers more emotionally involving. With the headphones I find that I can work and listen and not be overly distracted by the music (except with rare recordings). With the speakers I find that I have to put down the book or the magazine, close my eyes and listen. My speakers grab my attention and demand to be listened to. With the headphones listening is more optional.

I will say this also, I need to crank the speakers to hear the detail that I crave. I do not need to do this with headphones, in fact I listen at pretty low volume on the headphones. Maybe that is why the speakers command the attention and the headphones do not.

I likes 'em both!!!

May 24, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 57
Definitely speakers. Soundstage, presentation. You can't compare these things to headphones. It's like a spec ops warrior vs. toddler. You also don't sweat around the ears with speakers
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #9 of 57
Man, null is the ... 3rd? 4th? 5th? person with that avatar?

You guys need to be more creative.
rolleyes.gif

Oh yeah, just to be on-topic, I like headphones better. *cough*

- Chris

May 24, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 57
I also listen at low volumes with my headphones, really afraid of hearing damage at such a close range. When I am listening to speakers, I usually crank up the volume a lot more.

May 24, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #12 of 57
If we're just talking about the speakers, I spent a little over twice the cost of your a900's for my powered speakers (w/ amp) and I consider them better than my headphones. It's all about used and luck
tongue.gif

May 24, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #13 of 57
My Totems out perform all my phones on any given day. Until I make that jump to RS1 or Stax, I won't be hearing anything that will match it in terms of resolution, soundstage, impact, warmth, and ambiance I get with my Totems.

However, when listening to my speakers, it's requires a lot more juice to power them. My little SLA-70 heats up my room really quickly. Not so with my headphones, and I can listen to my headphones with my gf in the room and not disturb her.

I enjoy both. However, I'm using my headphones more and more now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back