Which do you feel is the best portable amp & dac?
Jul 23, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #31 of 38

ingwe

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 21, 2007
Posts
1,925
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here we go again, every time a thread starts about Pico/Predator, all bets are off either your a Pico guy or a Predator guy, my problem is I'm neither yet, I'm waiting for the Pico and thinking about giving Ray a buzz for a Predator. When will it end? Pico/Predator/Pico/Predator/Pico/Predator.............


exactly... a bunch of pp it is. harumph.

And...my Apogee Duet kicks total a**! And its portable also! And each Duet is pre burned-in for 20 years before release for sale. So there!
 
Jul 24, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #32 of 38

HeadphoneAddict

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Posts
17,429
Likes
797
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
exactly... a bunch of pp it is. harumph.

And...my Apogee Duet kicks total a**! And its portable also! And each Duet is pre burned-in for 20 years before release for sale. So there!



I'm doing a write-up on a mini-meet with Blutarsky that I'll post soon, and was extremely impressed with the Apogee duet, as a DAC and when driving headphones from the 1/4" jack. I thought it was world class like my mini-dac.
 
Jul 24, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #33 of 38

ingwe

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 21, 2007
Posts
1,925
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm doing a write-up on a mini-meet with Blutarsky that I'll post soon, and was extremely impressed with the Apogee duet, as a DAC and when driving headphones from the 1/4" jack. I thought it was world class like my mini-dac.


Actually, its also an outstanding ADC as well.
 
Jul 24, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #34 of 38

krmathis

Head-Fi's Most Prolific Poster
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Posts
34,761
Likes
76
Having owned two RSA amplifiers in the past, and knowing what they stood for I would certainly pick a Predator.
 
Jul 31, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #37 of 38

pufftissue

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 8, 2003
Posts
265
Likes
11
So it seems to be Pico/Predator.
Where does the Corda 2Move figure in? I just got it and am pretty happy with the sound quality, but I'm very curious as to how much better (if any) the Pico/Predator is when you factor in the DAC.

For reference, the best DAC I've ever heard is the EMU 0404!

I've got SR-225's, but I'm willing to upgrade to get anything that will be optimal.
 
Aug 1, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #38 of 38

HeadphoneAddict

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Posts
17,429
Likes
797
Quote:

Originally Posted by pufftissue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it seems to be Pico/Predator.
Where does the Corda 2Move figure in? I just got it and am pretty happy with the sound quality, but I'm very curious as to how much better (if any) the Pico/Predator is when you factor in the DAC.

For reference, the best DAC I've ever heard is the EMU 0404!

I've got SR-225's, but I'm willing to upgrade to get anything that will be optimal.



I think the 2MOVE does a very good job holding it's ground against a Predator or Pico. If using it just as a DAC to feed a full size amp, then I'd lean toward the Pico. But if you are running headphones from the DAC/Amp, and you already have a 2MOVE and the size/weight doesn't bother you, then I'm not sure it's worth selling it for a Predator/Pico. This is based on my experience with them all.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top