Which decade/time-period had the worst mainstream music/image?
Sep 8, 2009 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Scriptor Carpe Diem

New Head-Fier
It doesn't matter what's underneath, or what was the good music of the decade/generation. All that matters is the mainstream music~

I think 00s are by far worst, then 80s, then I hate to admit it but prolly 90s, ESPECIALLY and mainly because of late 90s, much like late 80s.

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Intriguingly though... even if I think this decade is one of the worst times for mainstream music/image, I also believe that it's one of the best times for "not-mainstream/everything-else"-music out there.

There's so much beautiful, exciting and diverse music out there - you just need to know where to look.

WORD

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

now

took the words right out of my mouth.

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

now

I have no hope for the future either.

A gaze into the crystal ball indicates that mainstream music in the future is dictated by viral marketing. Amateur dilettantism is the rule: somebody writes a song, does not even have to be a good song, records it on her computer and uploads it. Through the power of web-forums, facebook and other internet social groups, the song gathers billions of hit on youtube. Scouts from major labels seek out the singer, have her packaged and marketed. All done within the span of three to four weeks. In three months the said singer will be discarded and forgotten, and the cycle repeats itself.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #8 of 40
Now, then 1980s, then 1900s..........Now is by far the worst period in recorded mainstream music I can think of...........its simply vacant and needs a kick in the ass.....

The 80s was very bad but at least most of the music required talent to write and play despite image being more important than song.....today a kid can buy Garage Band and take a few loops of stuff they didn't write and then record a vocal, autotune it and have a HUGE hit..............to do this takes a matter of 5 to 10 minutes and no musical talent at all.....and that is what a lot of mainstream music is......................Mainstream music has become entirely EXCLUSIVELY image........selling an image by marketing music.......damn......all left that is needed to say is......

at least in the 80s when Milli Vanilli was busted for lipsynching to a tape they were laughed at and it destroyed their careers....... today, the world's biggest selling music star (Britney Spears) has no musical talent whatsoever, and all her vocal performances on record are completely doctored up with autotune and other effects (a program which if they had in the 80s the 2 singers of Milli Vanilli would have certainly used instead of having pro singers)............and then when she performs she doesn't even sing a note......
SHE IS MILLI VANILLI BUT SHE IS LOVED BY MILLIONS INSTEAD OF A DISGRACE LIKE THE EQUALLY MUSICALLLY TALENTLESS MILLI VANILLI AND THAT SHOWS YOU RIGHT THERE THE MUSIC BIZ HAS TAKEN A HORRIBLE HORRIBLE LEAP BACKWARDS

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Intriguingly though... even if I think this decade is one of the worst times for mainstream music/image, I also believe that it's one of the best times for "not-mainstream/everything-else"-music out there.

There's so much beautiful, exciting and diverse music out there - you just need to know where to look.

I completely agree.

The 80's were also hideous.

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #10 of 40
Funny, I saw the thread title and immediately thought of how bad things are today. Not only is there an extreme lack of talent, but the Loudness Wars have demolished good recording practices and illegal downloading (among a few other factors) cut Big Music's profits. The outfall of that is that Big Music no longer has the budget to support niche bands and genres, like jazz and classical. Instead, they focus on high sales volume, highly compressed crap. Times are good, however, for indie groups flying under the radar.

I'm not surprised to see the 80s take a few hits here. However, do not dismiss the decade based on the mainstream music. The 1980s were a terrific decade if you know where to look. There was terrific punk, the New Wave/alternative movement had some great music and you got the beginnings of alt.country. All are niche and somewhat forgotten today, however, there's a lot there to like. I'll take a lightweight - and tuneful -synthpop song over heavily sampled hip-hop with trite, boring and predictable gangsta lyrics.

Another huge plus for the 1980s is that you had good CDs. I've been slowly working my way back into my New Wave youth and have been surprised at the quality of the recordings. You had engineers with solid analog backgrounds applying good recording techniques to digital. There's no compression and all the computerized tricks were a decade off. Also, it seems that the New Wave has fallen largely into obscurity today - used discs are dead cheap. Oh, and because the 1980s transitioned from analog to CD, you can usually get all the music on both vinyl and pre-Loudness War CDs. What's not to like?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, I saw the thread title and immediately thought of how bad things are today. Not only is there an extreme lack of talent, but the Loudness Wars have demolished good recording practices and illegal downloading (among a few other factors) cut Big Music's profits.

Not that I'm championing illegal downloading, but one major upside that music sharing has is that it gave exposure to A LOT of obscure musicians and abrasive styles of music, which ultimately accounts for much of the exciting diversity we've had in music this decade.

If not for the widespread sharing and discussions about music on the internet, most of these artists would have only been known in and around the locality they come from and the scene where they belong to. Not only that... but most of what we'd be able to listen to are the uninspired drivel now polluting the mainstream music scene.

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #12 of 40
I see I'm not the only one that can rant as close to literal as one can reach forever about how completely enraged and even more deeply saddened about the current culture of not just the music industry and the world of music but all other facets of culture and the arts as well. I too despise the current times we live in when it comes to what is valued as good and right for the arts and culture vs instant gratification, especially compared to what we had.

I see the current civilized culture(s) going no where better too, it will get worse and worse imo unless as stated someone or some people step up and turn things around quick.

Do you know Miley Cyrus said her favorite band was Radiohead, and she didn't know what Hail to the Theif or Exit Music (for a film) was?

I just see people especially in masses being so sheepish and to be frank unknowingly brainwashed that the good will be driven out not just of sight, but eventually fade from memory too, and that is the real feeling of lost hope when I really think upon such a subject. Unless someone can start being at the front leading the way. It just seems like 50 years from now if the world doesn't go to complete ***** that people will be talking about Lil Wayne instead of Hendrix or Dylan because they didn't know any better, my opinion of course.

I feel like we had it sooo good, and for whatever reason we changed course and our headed for the end with no sight of return, it really seems like it won't ever be as good as it was, but maybe I'm just a pessimist, I am.

Then again this goes more about how I view culture and time period in general more than just music, "In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey" Loser, Beck, 1994~

It was good to see I'm not alone in how I view the current culture of music and how I feel the masses are misdirected.

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #13 of 40
Seriously, combined with the overloaded ignorance, now. Especially within local context here in Southeast Asia, where the general appreciation and taste is really low. Piracy. No habit or culture of listening and respecting music- music is just to please the ears, it is not an art form. The explosive media also contributes; seasonal bands disappear after 3 months; OMGMJ'SDEAD, blah blah

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #14 of 40
The current one!
Especially because of the insane loudness war...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back