Which DAC to buy?
Jul 22, 2020 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Deolum

1000+ Head-Fier
Because of exzessive cable plugging and inplugging the RCA connectors of my Chord 2qute are beggining to fail. Thus i look for a new Dac. I've never compared any Dacs so what's the best standalone sub 1000€ Dac to go for? Pref used.

It needs optical and usb input. Is the chord qutest the way to go? I like neutral musical sound over analytic sound. The Dac goes into a tube amp and from there to HD600, Grados and electrostats.

And important: The Dac should be available in Europe.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 12
Because of exzessive cable plugging and inplugging the RCA connectors of my Chord 2qute are beggining to fail. Thus i look for a new Dac. I've never compared any Dacs so what's the best standalone sub 1000€ Dac to go for? Pref used.

It needs optical and usb input. Is the chord qutest the way to go? I like neutral musical sound over analytic sound. The Dac goes into a tube amp and from there to HD600, Grados and electrostats.

try the new schiit modius, its pretty good, I came from hugo 2, its more musical than Hugo 2

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 12
Send the qutest back to Chord?

Jul 23, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #9 of 12
If you still like your DAC very much, I would try to have it repaired. Most audio shops can fix loose connectors and those that ho carry Chord would likely even have the parts in stock.

If you feel a replacement one is the way to go, $1000 for a used one opens up so many doors. Why are you plugging and unplugging the RCA connectors so often? Did you need more inputs or outputs or are you carrying it around?

Jul 26, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 12
For that money, the obvious choices would be an RME-ADI2-FS or a Chord Qutest. The former is cheaper and used ones appear fairly frequently. They are both incredibly well reviewed for their measurements and experience with music.

Aug 1, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #11 of 12
schitt is coming to europe to more and more countries apparently, slowly. One shop here says there are bringing lot of shitt, just no modius on the first order... but soon I guess. What about the Soncoz sound, any inputs about it?

Aug 1, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 12

At that budget, RME new from a shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back