Which DAC/ Pre? Help!
Jan 15, 2015 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

adiebear

New Head-Fier
Hi all
I confess I'm not a heaphone junkie. I have ACS T15 IEMs for now and an Audioquest Dragonfly that I use when travelling (using JRiver). 
I have however spent much time lurking as Head-Fi seems the place to learn about DACs etc.

I would like some advice to spruce up my listening experience. 
Speakers are newer spec Eminent Technology LFT16's, a sub- and I have just acquired Hypex HD400 module (not Ncore yet) monoblocks (highly modified with upgraded caps in critical parts of circuit and opamp upgrade, THULE toroidals, THULE PSU smoothing caps, CUSTOM regulated PSU with seperate toroidal for op amp supply). 
They do a lot right but I have upper midrange sharpness/glare. Consensus is that my old TacT RCS2.0DA is the culprit. I'm using as DAC and pre in Bypass mode.
The speakers have a measurement/ listening anomaly (JA, Stereophile review refers) which makes room correction an issue. My room is pretty ok so don't feel the need in any case.

I went through the many postings about the Audio GD NFB-28, which would allow me to send rcs to the sub, balanced to the amps and to run pre-outs from my AVR.
Seems like a lovely piece of kit.
Then there's MiniDSP 4x10 which would allow PEQ, though no idea what the DAC is like (only up to 24/96).

Those 2 options are in my non-existent budget range.
I have been offered a very sweet deal on the Perreaux DP32 DAC/pre. I know the Audiant sound signature so it may be a great, though more-than-I-want-to-pay deal.

Any other suggestions for gear that would allow HT in, DAc and pre?
In my part of South Africa there are not many options to audition- and I usually hunt on avforums.co.za and other sites.

ta muchly in advance.

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 5
I'l partially answer my own question.
Speaker cable.
Swapped my Xindak for loaner Audiomagica. Must buy :)
Nothing wrong with the Xindak- it actually has better detail, decay etc. (so will go up the Audiomagica ladder), but it's about synergy.
The Xindak was great with my Parasound amp, not with the Hypex.
Add a minidsp 4x10 and see how that works I reckon, then a DAC as and when funds are available.

Jan 23, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #3 of 5
  I'l partially answer my own question.
Speaker cable.
Swapped my Xindak for loaner Audiomagica. Must buy :)
Nothing wrong with the Xindak- it actually has better detail, decay etc. (so will go up the Audiomagica ladder), but it's about synergy.
The Xindak was great with my Parasound amp, not with the Hypex.
Add a minidsp 4x10 and see how that works I reckon, then a DAC as and when funds are available.

Audiomica laboartories, not Audiomagica- Doh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back