Which dac/amp from this specific list for LCD-2's
Jul 31, 2011 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

AdamFrandsen

Head-Fier
Hey!

So, I have decided to acquire a pair of LCD-2's and have questions about dacs/amps, and one or two questions about the headphones before making the purchase. I wish to use these with my MacBook Pro (USB) and lossless audio.

1) I was first looking at the Peachtree Nova, but will not need the 80w speaker outs right now... I like that it has the power though, and that it switches from 110/220 volts, so I can take it home to Europe should I need to. I am also not sure how its headphone amp compares to the others on my list. Price is also in the high end.

I would like to spent as little as possible, while not compromising too much.

2) Music Hall dac25.3 - it has all I need for a much lower price, now I have read that the headphone amp is not the best, and if it truly isn't very good, then I wont get this dac. How does it compare to the others on my list.

3) Schiit Audio Valhalla or Asgard + Bifrost with USB - from the reviews this looks like an awesome choice, yet getting a little expensive again.

4) Firestone Libby - not sure about this one, seems like the reviews find it lacking in many areas. Price is not cheap.

5) Cambridge DacMagic + what amp?

Other suggestions are welcome...

I love the idea of a tube amp, since warmth is important as well as clarity and punch - I am a prof. opera singer, and will be listening to Wagner, Verdi, Mahler, Brahms, Korngold, Carl Nielsen and Puccini a lot - big yet classic sound. My favorite tenor is Franco Corelli, and he sings with steel in his voice :) ! I also listen to jazz, tom waits, rock and metal.

About the headphones, can someone define what is meant by the frequency response on the LCD-2's. "5 Hz - 20 KHz, usable high frequency extension 50 KHz" 20 KHz does not seem very high, and what does usable high... mean? And how much does the lower frequency matter compared to the GS1000i's - which I was also close to choosing.

I am looking for a sound that is not clinical but beautiful and musical. I almost bought the Denon D7000's, since the price is so low, around 600 bucks, but listened to another pair of Denons, and found the bass to be very wide and fake and very high treble. I am not sure this would go for the D7000's, but I read somewhere on here that the bass is heavy. So I decided on the LCD2's.

The LCD-2's just seem like the perfect headphone for a nice whiskey and some opera - not least based on its look and build.

I apologize in advance for stupid questions... Thanks! -A

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 16
I would definitely consider the CEntrance DACmini.

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
How would you describe your listening experience with this setup, and is it very genre specific?

Here's a thread with lots of info. I personally don't think it's genre specific.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/523850/centrance-dacmini-dac-amplifier-official-thread/420#post_7646521

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 16
Dont get the libby,

the dac is not too bad for the price, but the amp could be better.

( owned one before, dont waste your money on that)

Aug 3, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #9 of 16
So, now my final question is, which one is then the better buy:

1. Centrance at 800
2. Peachtree at 1200
3. Burson at 1300

--------------------------------------------------------

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #15 of 16
I would suggest a lyr and bifrost combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back