Which currently manufactured planars are easy to drive?
Aug 1, 2018 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
Pretty much what the subject line asks. What planars can run off a headphone jack in a receiver or even a portable DAP and not lose anything against running them from a dedicated amp. Is there such a thing? Thank you.

Aug 2, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 19
Thanks

Aug 2, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 19
Edition x v2/ananda, oppo pm3 (though technically discontinued) he400i (kinda) sundara. Basically any newer hifiman honestly. Audeze sine and el8 should be fine too i would think.

These and also the Audeze LCD-4z.

Now, all of these won't sound 100% but they should still sound good.

Aug 4, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 19
Thank you

Aug 4, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 19
M1060 , very easy to drive...

Aug 5, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 19
Thanks, not sure I can get those over here without getting jacked by the taxman.

Aug 5, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 19
Isine series are driven well out of a smartphone.
Pm3 will get to good volume levels quite easily but sound best when driven with more authority.
Sine is hard to drive contrary to a previous comment.

Aug 5, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 19
Isine series are driven well out of a smartphone.
Pm3 will get to good volume levels quite easily but sound best when driven with more authority.
Sine is hard to drive contrary to a previous comment.

I want to like the Oppos because they make good stuff. But I just hate the styling on those.

Aug 5, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #11 of 19
I myself prefer the styling of the Oppo over the Sine. It's much more comfortable too. To each their own.

I agree with you. The Sine is even uglier than the Oppo :wink:

I have been a Sennheiser guy for 40 years but there are some Sennheiser designs that bother me a lot also. So it's not personal :p

Indeed, taste is a very personal thing. I have no idea about these headphones, I have not tried them.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #13 of 19
Oppo is still halfway in business and they are actually still showing those on their site as being available for purchase.

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #14 of 19
Ahh, interesting. In the US The only things available on their site are the Sonica speaker, the UDP-205 and a handful of accessories.

Aug 6, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #15 of 19
Ahh, interesting. In the US The only things available on their site are the Sonica speaker, the UDP-205 and a handful of accessories.

Check out this link

https://www.oppodigital.com/headphones-pm-3/

It's weird but it seems like they are making their pages hard to find. I know a few times I was unable to get to a product page from the main website either american or uk, but if you do a web search you can often get find the product page and it looks like they're still selling stuff. Does it show up when you try it?

Looking further they list the price but there doesn't seem to be a way to actually buy one. LOL. Kinda dumb...

The 205 is available? I paid like 2 thousand euros for one...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back