Which component to replace?
Aug 5, 2001 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

holderlin

New Head-Fier
I'm listening more through headphones (Senn HD600 and Cosmic/soon-- AKG -SAC 1000) than ever before. I've currently got the Cosmic connected to "tape out" of Musical Fidelity A220 Int Amp with my source being Arcam Alpha 5 cdp (circa 1996). I haven't tried connecting Cosmic directly to cdp (should I?).

I'm wondering where I might get the biggest bang for my buck if I upgrade any of the components. Should I consider getting a new cdp? amp? a DAC for the cdp? If I upgrade cdp, I'd like to keep it under $800 (to see what happens in the near future with any new formats). If I upgrade amp I'll have to wait awhile because I'm not sure I can significantly improve for much less than $1000.

Aug 5, 2001 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 6
holderlin.
I suggest you upgrade your source, or alternatively, if the Arcam is good as transport, get a DAC.

With your budget, you can get some nice CDPs. Arcam's never CD92 for instance or Marantz CD6000 KI signature. If you go second hand you can get something really high end for this amount of cash, such as Meridian 508.24.

Aug 5, 2001 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 6
You could try a Sony SCD-333ES. A few people on this board have it and seem very happy w/ it. It's supposed to have really good CD playback, and of course you get SACD capabilities.

Aug 5, 2001 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

You could try a Sony SCD-333ES. A few people on this board have it and seem very happy w/ it. It's

Yes, I have thought about this. I have been reading here and at audio asylum and there seems to be a horse race at present between the Arcam CD72, Rega Planet 2000 and the Sony (less often the MF A3). I'm leaning toward the Sony because it is the cheapest of the lot. I'm also thinking about purchasing the ART DI/O DAC to see what that does to the Arcam 5. Then, I could always use it as a DAC for the upgraded cdp.

Aug 5, 2001 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 6
I'm actually pretty curious about the Art DI/O DAC myself. I've read a couple of really good reviews on it. It's performance/price ratio is supposedly very high.

Aug 5, 2001 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 6
holderlin: Actually, I think your stuff is already fairly good, so if I were you I'd just try the direct cdp-amp-connection, first. As a next step, you could have a look whether your arcam can be modified with a high precision oscillator (Lclock or something similar). In addition, you could just spend ~ US$ 100 for a beyerdynamic DT531: For the last weeks I have re-listened quite a few of my old cds, and I'm very surprised, how many details the beyerdynamic unveils, that I haven't been able to perceive with my other headphones.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back