WHICH CIRCUMAURAL HEADPHONES BESIDES BEYERDYNAMICS HAVE THE BEST DEEPEST BASS???
Nov 23, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 30
The L3000's of course
L3000.gif

though Ive never had the pleasure (nay, the life-changing experience) of hearing these cans, legends are told of their bass extension, power, presence, accuracy, and musicality that comes very near that of proper speakers

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The L3000's of course
L3000.gif

though Ive never had the pleasure (nay, the life-changing experience) of hearing these cans, legends are told of their bass extension, power, presence, accuracy, and musicality that comes very near that of proper speakers

El Doug:
Be careful about recommending headphones that you have never actually heard. There are a lot of Head-Fi members who have a considerable disdain for this.

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jurgen1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHICH CIRCUMAURAL HEADPHONES BESIDES BEYERDYNAMICS HAVE THE BEST DEEPEST BASS???

Your question is somewhat difficult to answer because, for one reason, the "best bass" is not necessarily the "deepest bass" unless the "deepest bass" is the most accurate sounding bass when compared to the original recording.
There are headphones which will allow you to hear an exaggerated deep bass which was never the intention of the recording engineer who recorded the music. There are also headphones which will allow you to hear more accurately what the recording engineer had in mind.
Are you a "gamer"? I am not a "gamer" but I have been told that some "gamers" really like a lot of exaggerated bass.
My question of you is which is more important to you, exaggerated bass or accurate bass?

Nov 23, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your question is somewhat difficult to answer because, for one reason, the "best bass" is not necessarily the "deepest bass" unless the "deepest bass" is the most accurate sounding bass when compared to the original recording.
There are headphones which will allow you to hear an exaggerated deep bass which was never the intention of the recording engineer who recorded the music. There are also headphones which will allow you to hear more accurately what the recording engineer had in mind.
Are you a "gamer"? I am not a "gamer" but I have been told that some "gamers" really like a lot of exaggerated bass.
My question of you is which is more important to you, exaggerated bass or accurate bass?

I prefer accurate bass primarily from electronic music, synthesizers, and instruments like an electric guitar and bass. I want to know what gives off the most cleanest impact and PRaT that will amaze me yet not muddle the rest of the music.

Nov 23, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 30
Best is a silly word in subjective things like headphone-listening.

Listen to any respected headphone and I think you'll find the bass response quite good and leagues ahead of the bass produced by $1 included earbuds.

I've had several good headphones, none of which are renowned for ear-numbing bass responses and they have had all produced great bass - even the cheapest of the bunch.

Also, if anything impresses you about decent headphones, I'm sure that it won't be the bass - there is so much more to recordings than some frequency band a few hundred hertz wide.

I doubt you'll find that much comment on bass response specifically (aside from the whining about dt770 and k701, and of course "legendary" 'phones etc.). People tend to evaluate headphones for everything that they do and so despite lacking mention of "earth-shaking bass" the headphones probably do all you need them to I would think.

Nov 23, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #9 of 30
What's about all the SHOUTING?
confused_face(1).gif

Calm down, and you may get more responses...

Anyway, I find the Stax SR-007(BL) to have excellent deep bass. "Best" is subjective though, so your question don't have a clear answer. Since we all have different preferences.

Nov 23, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #10 of 30
The question becomes what is meant by "best"? Where this matter is concerned, "best" is purely an opinion, seemingly, no matter from which perspective you look at the situation. One could say that "best" is the sound that seems to be the most accurate as compared to the original recording. However, this like every other comparison involves an opinion. Another example of a possible "definition" of "best" might be the idea of that which sounds most "life-like" or "natural" but, here again, we are faced with nothing more than opinions when it comes to the final analysis.
Still involving an opinion, but probably the "best" way of resolving this issue would be answering the question, "Which headphone's bass as well as other frequencies sound best to you?" And, I'm sure you know how to investigate the answer to this question.
Beyond this point, my best guess is that you will probably receive a lot of opinions as answers to your question. You may, ultimately, either agree or disagree with these opinions when you've heard the headphones for yourself.

Nov 23, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DEEPEST BASS, mean bassy???

Deepest bass = bass extension imo.
Meaning that it extend all the way down, and not roll off at ex. 40Hz...

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #12 of 30
For one to be able to answer accurately to this poll should them have heard all the options. :|

Nov 23, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #14 of 30
Looks like "other" is the winning option as for now. Guess why? I suppose it for your forgetting to include one of the current production bass monsters which are the JVC DX-1000.

As olblueyez says, his other options are good, very good indeed candidates, despite not having tried the Ed9 myself. But as good as I find PS-1's and L3000's bass, the DX1000 is deeper, and shows excellent control, slam and timbre. Summing up to declare "best" which after all is a matter of personal preference, I wouldn't be able to choose one, but forced to, I'd probably get the DX-1000's bass as something to have as a reference.

Nov 23, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #15 of 30
skylab did an objective test with sin wave sweeps for the darth beyers, jvc dx1000, and denon d5000, and the d5000 had the deepest bass of the three. i know the proline 750 has the deepest bass i've ever heard, going down to 16hz (i can feel it), so i wouldn't be surprised to find the ed9 to have the deepest bass of all the choices listed. i haven't heard the L3000 so i can't comment on those, but i have read a lot about their bass.

in the end i'd pick the d5000, ed9, and l3000 for a comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back