Which Cheap Portable Music Player is Best
Nov 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Strages

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new on Head-fi, but I'm looking for the best-quality portable music player for under $400. I've heard the Sansa Clip+, or Cowon V5 is good, but I'm open to suggestions. I have a sony mdr-zx600 set of headphones, but wouldn't mind getting better ones (if my headphones are the bottleneck) Thanks!

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 16
I have the Sansa Clip+ and Clip Zip.  I think both are terrific sounding for the low cost and much easier to use than anything iPod.  Only problem is that they are sensitive to moisture so if you think you want to use them at the gym, you need to get a plastic cover for about 5 bucks.

For $400, have you thought about just a high-end phone? I have a Samsung Stratosphere and I think it's a pretty impressive player, particularly with the added Poweramp app.

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:
Hi, I'm new on Head-fi, but I'm looking for the best-quality portable music player for under $400. I've heard the Sansa Clip+, or Cowon V5 is good, but I'm open to suggestions. I have a sony mdr-zx600 set of headphones, but wouldn't mind getting better ones (if my headphones are the bottleneck) Thanks!

Might try posting your question on the website anythingbutipod.
I think my Sony E series E465 16GB is a good mp3 player, $110
Sennheiser HD25-1 II headphones, $200, seem to be recommend a lot.
As the Senn HD25-1 II is 70-Ohms, the Sony e465 should be able to drive it.
But you can always get a Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier ($62) to get the best possible audio quality from the HD25-1 II.

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 16
For that amount, depends on what your priority is. If you don't want a lot of storage, you can get a Clip+/Clip Zip and spend the rest on a good pair of headphone.
Otherwise if you want lots of storage, the iPod classic is a good choice.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 16
Is there any sound-quality difference between the iPod and the clip+? Or if I bought the Sennheiser HD25-1 II headphones, and spent a little extra, would the Cowon Z2 be much better in terms of sound quality? I mostly listen to classical music, but I do listen to Rock from time to time. Thanks.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
Is there any sound-quality difference between the iPod and the clip+? Or if I bought the Sennheiser HD25-1 II headphones, and spent a little extra, would the Cowon Z2 be much better in terms of sound quality? I mostly listen to classical music, but I do listen to Rock from time to time. Thanks.

Ask on the website anythinbutipod

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Even if there's no difference, they're still competing on different price brackets, and that makes the Clip+/Zip a bargain. You can get the Sennheiser Amperior or Momentum with the left over amount.

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 16
Does anyone know how the clips compare to a voodoo SGS? I currently have a voodoo samsung captivate, but it''s starting to fall apart after 3 years and I'm probably going to pick up a Nexus 4, so I need a standalone PMP.

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
Does anyone know how the clips compare to a voodoo SGS? I currently have a voodoo samsung captivate, but it''s starting to fall apart after 3 years and I'm probably going to pick up a Nexus 4, so I need a standalone PMP.

First, I don't know, and second, pls don't hijack the thread.

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Why people always ask the same things withour reading? Is a waste of time for us to answer over and over again.
1.Best cheepest mp3 player: Sandisk Sansa Clip+
2.Best expensive DAP: Tera Player, Ibasso DX100, Hifiman HM 801, iRiver Ak100.Do your research next time, is very easy.

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #14 of 16
I'm not sure I can compare the SGS with Clips. They're targeting different segments. For audio generally, the Clips are pretty transparent. Even if they do sound similar, the Clips are substantially cheaper.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
Ask on the website anythinbutipod

Okay, I will.

Quote:
Why people always ask the same things withour reading? Is a waste of time for us to answer over and over again.
1.Best cheepest mp3 player: Sandisk Sansa Clip+
2.Best expensive DAP: Tera Player, Ibasso DX100, Hifiman HM 801, iRiver Ak100.Do your research next time, is very easy.

Sorry, I was searching, but I didn't find a straight answer. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back