Which canal phone for a Grado fan?
Jun 9, 2005 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

superjohnny

500+ Head-Fier
In July I'm going to hop on a 12 hour flight to Seoul and I'd like some headphones for my journey. I'm a big fan of my SR60's and AT A900's and I listen to a variety of music, but 60%+ is electronica, trip-hop, down-tempo, trance or whatever the name for it is. A few months ago I sold my Ety ER4-P's because I wasn't enjoying them as much as I should have been. I found them too dry and analytical. I think they just don't pair up with my music preference. Before that I had some Shure E2C's, which I found unacceptable. The one note bass and lack of sound between the boom & mids was just no good IMO.

I've been reading around and saw UE has a new "super.fi" series which seems to be getting luke-warm reviews due to their lack of detailed highs & sound slanted toward bass. Shure has the E4C's which seem to be getting decent reviews. The Ety ER6i's are downright cheap right now at $80 (-$30 if you sign up for a CC from buy.com). Can anyone recommend me a canalphone?

Thanks

Jun 9, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 9
I dunno, it's hard to approximate the Grado sound from an earphone. I have the 6i's which to me, sound like 4P's except with the treble and detail turned down 10-20%. At least if you buy these, you won't be spending that much and probably not expecting as much.

The Shures are better but I think they are still a bit remote sounding as far as the sparkling details that you are used to on the Grado's. Overall, you can tell they are Shures from the first moment you put them on.

Jun 10, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 9
Ok dammit you guys are killing me. I pulled the trigger on some E4's from The Ear Plug Super Store. Tammy was very nice on the phone, she helped me find some comfortable ear-plugs for when I'm not using the headphones. I, of course, mentioned that I found their site through Head-Fi and appreciate them supporting the community, but she didn't know anything about it. Whatever. She was very nice and they charged a reasonable price for the headphones & ear-plugs ($199.70 total). They're in Oklahoma of all places, but again, whatever.

I'll post back with my impressions of the headphones after I get a change to try them out.

head-fi strikes back (at my wallet
wink.gif
)

<edit> since finding this site I've purchased ER4-P's, E2C's, AT A900's, Grado SR225's, Senn HD600's and built 4 headamps. Paltry by some standards, but that's over $1,200.

Jun 13, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by superjohnny
In July I'm going to hop on a 12 hour flight to Seoul and I'd like some headphones for my journey. I'm a big fan of my SR60's and AT A900's and I listen to a variety of music, but 60%+ is electronica, trip-hop, down-tempo, trance or whatever the name for it is. A few months ago I sold my Ety ER4-P's because I wasn't enjoying them as much as I should have been. I found them too dry and analytical. I think they just don't pair up with my music preference. Before that I had some Shure E2C's, which I found unacceptable. The one note bass and lack of sound between the boom & mids was just no good IMO.

I've been reading around and saw UE has a new "super.fi" series which seems to be getting luke-warm reviews due to their lack of detailed highs & sound slanted toward bass. Shure has the E4C's which seem to be getting decent reviews. The Ety ER6i's are downright cheap right now at $80 (-$30 if you sign up for a CC from buy.com). Can anyone recommend me a canalphone?

Thanks

I own a pair of 125's so I know what you mean by the Grado sound. speaking to Mike Dias @ UE, he had mentioned that the super.fi 5 pros would sound excellent to me if I liked the Grado soundstage. If you'll look up the most recent ramblings re: the super.fi's, you'll see that people are calling them 'fun to listen to' and as having a 'great soundstage', etc. In particular, look up http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...light=super.fi LFF's review on the 5 pros. People are starting to give them great reviews and loving their sound, while claiming that other canalphones are more analytical and 'fatiguing' after short periods of listening. I paraphrase above, and am not quoting anybody. I have just canceled an order for the E4's that I was waiting as a result of reading these reviews. My suggestion is to go for the UE 5 pros (super.fi).

Cheers!

Jun 13, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 9
Yep the super.fi's! Much better with real bass for once in a canal phone and the highs are detailed enough so you can still enjoy them for hours at a time!

Whats your source gonna be again?

Jun 13, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 9
I had a little tiff with Guitar Center and without any way to really make a proper decision I chose the $70 cheaper Shure E4c's from The Ear Plug Super Store. They should get here on Tuesday or Wednesday... I'm giddy with anticipation
biggrin.gif

Source is a 3rd gen iPod.

Jun 13, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 9
I'm a Grado fan, and I really like the Sharp MD33. Bass is good and solid, and the highs are just right. Tyll, one of the Headroom guys, even said that they are awesome. And he owns the $1000 UE 10 Pro.
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 8:15 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
I own a pair of 125's so I know what you mean by the Grado sound. speaking to Mike Dias @ UE, he had mentioned that the super.fi 5 pros would sound excellent to me if I liked the Grado soundstage. If you'll look up the most recent ramblings re: the super.fi's, you'll see that people are calling them 'fun to listen to' and as having a 'great soundstage', etc.

Hi omendelovitz,

Just a quick question, Grado and 'great soundstage' in one paragraph? IMHO, the Grado soundstage like many canalphones (correct me if I'm wrong, please) is close and intimate to the performer. And 'great' is up to the personal preference. (can be misleading at times)

I have yet to audition the Super.fi 5 series (and don't see a chance to), and am eagerly reading the reviews.

As a current Grado owner and past Shure E3c/E5c owner, I would recommend the Shure series solely because the its presentation of the midrange.

Just my two cents,

Overlunge

Jun 13, 2005 at 8:44 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
In particular, look up http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...light=super.fi LFF's review on the 5 pros.

Thanks for recommending my review Omendelovitz!!!

I would suggest you give both of them a try. I have not listened to the E4's but I can tell you that the Super.fi's are very, very fun to listen to. I have been listening to them since I got them. I am even listening to them right now and let me tell you - in no way are they getting boring. Give the Super.fi's a chance - they are not perfect but they are definately worthy of an audition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back