Which budget canalphones, E2C, MDREX71 or koss plugs
May 5, 2004 at 8:22 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Don't, under any cirumstances, get the Koss the Plug
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, they're not that bad actually, much better than your average ear plug but by no means really good. Bass is good but extremely undefined and the whole midrange is completey muddled by the predominant bass. Isolation is ok, nothing special but better than normal earplugs.

Thanks everyone for your advice. But I've decided to get the Koss plug
eek.gif
and mod them with some ear plugs. Then if I can get used to canalphones I'll upgrade to some shure E3c or maybe even E5! At least the plugs will be better than freebies that came with my NJB3!
Cheers again
Steve

Sep 13, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steveflood26
Thanks everyone for your advice. But I've decided to get the Koss plug
eek.gif
and mod them with some ear plugs. Then if I can get used to canalphones I'll upgrade to some shure E3c or maybe even E5! At least the plugs will be better than freebies that came with my NJB3!
Cheers again
Steve

I tried the Koss plug mod and still found them unpleasant. It's a bit of work and the sound is still fairly junky, good isolation, but recessed sound and boomy bass. Plus if you use the Flens plugs reccd in the mod, you look like a deranged geriatric.

I prefer the EX51/71 by far. I have the ER6 and ER6i, and feel the ER6 does not really need an amp to perform. ER6 is accurate, but lacks bass. And it also appears to be beyond your price point.

I have not heard the Shure E2s, but given your needs and price point, I think the Sony 51s ($30 U.S) will be more enjoyable then the Koss Plugs, even modded. Or get the Shures as the general consensus appears to be that they are good for their cost and provide decent isolation. The Plugs need a redesign of their drivers by Koss before they can satisfy most listeners IMO.

des

Sep 13, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #20 of 22
I have had the E5Cs, the E3Cs, the E2Cs, and the MDR-EX71s. It just so happens that that is also my order of preference, with the MDR-EX71 underneath the rest. Given your listening preferences, I would say both the E3Cs and the E2Cs would fit quite nicely, the first more than the second, of course.

Sep 13, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #21 of 22
For the amount of time that you spend doing the mods to the Koss Slugs and the results that you get, you might as well spend the extra $10 and move up to the sony EX71/51. You will get better bass that's not only one note and also better mids and highs with greater comfort.

I did all of the Plug mods listed on the Headwize site and they still sounded like crap to me. Kinda made me wish that I had just started off with the EX71's to begin with and saved my time.

Sep 13, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #22 of 22
Has anyone compared the silver mod ex70/71, Sharp HD-MD33, and Pioneer Se-Cl30. Since i've upgraded from the shure e3 to the Sonys, yes I said upgrade, I've been wondering if I can do better as far as low end canal phones are concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back