Which brand produces more of a natural sound?
Feb 21, 2011 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

K-MONEY

Banned for flipping
Out of the four, which brand produces headphones with more of a natural sound?

AKG
Denon
Beyerdynamic
Sennheiser

Do you prefer natural sound or fun sound?

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 9
Sennheiser :)

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 9
Natural is a very subjective term. I had a pair of AKG K702 for a while, and thought the vocals sounded extremely natural. I then started listening to my MS 400, which sounded boomy and unnaturally warm in comparison. After a few hours of listening, I went back to the K702 and they sounded thin and, as many people put it, plasticky.

Psychoacoustics play a very huge role in what you perceive as natural.

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 9
No idea of brands... Use whatever you like and equalize if you have to (makes a big difference!).

As ex0du5 mentioned psychoacoustics have a significant role. Each person perceives higher frequencies differently due to the shape of ear canals etc. Headphones having a flat response curve won't certainly be that subjectively speaking. Of course flat != natural. :)

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
No idea of brands... Use whatever you like and equalize if you have to (makes a big difference!).

As ex0du5 mentioned psychoacoustics have a significant role. Each person perceives higher frequencies differently due to the shape of ear canals etc. Headphones having a flat response curve won't certainly be that subjectively speaking. Of course flat != natural.
smily_headphones1.gif

Flat != Natural == Truer words were never spoken.

BTW, I have had long term happiness with Sennheiser 565, 580, and 600, as well as Grado 325's.  All of those had a clear midrange, decent bass, good highs, smooth overall sound.  But of course, there is no substitute for a lot of hard work reading *all* of the posts here
 that describe the sound of 'phones that fit your interest.

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 9
I'd say Sennheiser.

Feb 21, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 9
I will put a vote in for Pioneer. Brands do not make much of a difference. If you want natural try a Sextett. Did I mention Philips and Sony? You can also try a DT48E etcetera...

Audition a bunch of headphones and you might find that 'natural sound/presentation'. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back