Which box shall I open ? : Ipod 4G or Iriver iHP140
Sep 17, 2004 at 9:48 AM Post #106 of 164

Yasmin_Khan

Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 9, 2004
Posts
52
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mkawa
in this light, the question you are asking of yourself is, "am i a doll child, or am i a lego child?" the answer, i'd say, is up to you.



What a lovely analogy.
smily_headphones1.gif
I think Im a doll child.But if i want to be a lego
child i'll buy iTrip or iTalk iPod Voice Recorder.

Thanks for your input.
 
Sep 17, 2004 at 10:56 AM Post #107 of 164

Yasmin_Khan

Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 9, 2004
Posts
52
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchman
The reason I posted was because I don't think iTunes is a big reason why the iPod is nice. It SEEMS nice and it probably has many useful features for people who have large collections and have their collection well tagged.


To be honest I haven't read up on what iTunes can or can't do.
it's something I'm looking into. As well as deciding which player to go for.
I know its for ripping cds to the apple/mp3 format, managing audio files
on the computer for playback, transfer to the ipod and buying audio from it's
store and the fact iTunes charges UK folk a significant more for audio files
than everyone else in the world!
mad.gif



What software do you folks use to TAG your mp3's? Free/Shareware 30day ltd.
im looking for something really SMART that can connect to online databases
and download album/single cover art for the files.

How do you sort/organise your files?
are they by artist? or genre? and how do you define the genre's?
Dance for example has various sub genre's that come and go out of "fashion"
or change.

I know some people have purchased software like Media Center 10,
Music Match & Anapod Explorer.

How would you list albums and singles on your computer?
eg Fires Of Ork, The - The Fires Of Ork 2
http://www.discogs.com/release/31699

would the folder be : [PW 44] Fires Of Ork, The

Would that confuse iTunes? Should I name it in another way?

I think once I have learnt to maintain the folders and files in a certain way
I will be feel a lot more confident in using a database.
 
Sep 17, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #108 of 164

pank2002

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 18, 2003
Posts
1,213
Likes
10
I'd use Media Center 11 or 10. There's a really good guide on how to set it up here

It can do pretty much anything; get cover art (build in an plug in), lyrics, tags (with plugin @tagger.) You can also get tags from filename or put files in a special structure from tags info.

Only thing it doesn't do, with the iPod, is to make dynamic play list, but I think Steve - The hand held software engineer - is working on it.

Check out their forum and get the latest build of 10 or 11. Both are stable (though 11 is said to be alpha or beta), but I prefer 11 as it has nicer sync functions and just other nice stuff.
 
Sep 17, 2004 at 1:24 PM Post #109 of 164

Yasmin_Khan

Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 9, 2004
Posts
52
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
It can do pretty much anything; get cover art (build in an plug in), lyrics, tags (with plugin @tagger.) You can also get tags from filename or put files in a special structure from tags info.


Is iTunes able to do this too?
 
Sep 17, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #112 of 164

pank2002

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 18, 2003
Posts
1,213
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yasmin_Khan
Is iTunes able to do this too?


I don't know. My computer isn't 'good' enough to run iTunes. It's a 1,1Ghz with 256mb ram running win2k. iTunes is a system hook.
 
Sep 17, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #113 of 164

Frenchman

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Posts
126
Likes
0
I use ID3 Tagit. Great program with only one problem: when you make changes, they arn't automatically applied. You actually have to save the files. This sounds quite logical but for some reason it totally messes me up.
 
Sep 17, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #114 of 164

zikarus

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Posts
275
Likes
78
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
MP3 tag tools
The easiest and best tool I have used.
free too.



I agree on that and might add that the support in mp3tag´s forum is one of the best/fastest and friendliest I ever encountered: I had a little problem due to a fault using some new EAC-configuration files. The developer of mp3tag helped out at once and created a new little function which he included into a developer´s build of his software within a few hours
600smile.gif


When it comes down to including cover art though Yasmin should give Helium2 a try (currently vers. 1.8, version 2 coming out soon). Only drag: It´s not free- but shareware (35$)...
 
Sep 18, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #116 of 164

Sweet Spot

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 16, 2003
Posts
1,401
Likes
10
Damn, I hate coming back to find a boat load of posts to read, sentences to quote, and mocks to answer ! Ok, I'm lying. I actually really like it.
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Man(Bangra)
Generally Mr Spot, I fully understand your iRiver leanings, being as you are the iRiver board mod but I guess what I'm trying to say is that you need to do more real playing about and less conjecture if you're going to write as authoritatively about this stuff as you do.


Well now Mr. erm...Man,
wink.gif
I'll say this once. And never again. My attitude towards said DAPs has NOTHING to do with me being an admin at Mistic. Nothing at all. Many times have I stated there that I think that Iriver has done a really crap job with getting certain things to its customers, eg: firmware fiasco; poor data base implamentation till supposedly now. I've also admitted on more than one occasion that I would have loved the Karma if it didn't have such a bad hardware rep and if they added a remote. I could even live without the UMS support in that case, because I want gapless damn it !

I've ALSO said, that I play with iPods all the time, being that my co-workers own 3rd and 4th gen and mini's. I've "messed about" with them enough to know that when I speak passionately about this, the conjecture is left behind. Oh..I should have mentioned though, the other reason I thought the iAudio was a waste, is that even though it truly looks sexy, there's no point to its looks, as you're using the remote 100% of the time, and the problem with that is, what if the remote fails/breaks ? Not cool. It should have a slightly functional LCD on the unit IMO.

Tell ya what though, if you're so concerned with my lack of things to mess about with, I'll e mail you my address and you can ship me some of your DAP's
k1000smile.gif


Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
Sweet Spot,
I see where your coming from, though I do not agree with you. I think databases are way smarter then file structure 'cause you can access it in many ways. Furthermore, the argument that you need a piece a software to upload songs is kinda weak. With the iHP you need explorer, which is software too which'll most likely take longer time than with a db player.
I must admit though that I prefer the sound of iRiver over the iPod (3g,) though not being accurate.



I wasn't looking for an agreement from anyone, I was stating why *I personally* like the file tree method in any case. Again, I personally don't need to access the file structure in "many ways" because I'm comfortable with one, which pretty much takes me no time to sift through. And to counter your stance on my "weak" argument on needing software, let me just say this: No matter how you look at it, every machine loaded with a windows OS, has explorer integrated. It's not an added piece of software which needs to be downloaded from another source.

Like it or not, that's a fact. This means that I can go to any office in NYC, and hook my iHP up to any PC with my cable and up/download till my hearts content. If I had an iPod, I'd need to make sure that I had a copy of some sort of software in order to up/download music and listen to it directly afterward. And I'm not going to get into that other stuff about people accidentally deleting their entire iPod data base with no means of recovering it. I personally don't know enough about that, but we've all seen the horror stories.

Your point is silly IMO, because no matter how you look at it, all DAP's need some form of software to communicate with the host. My point was that it's not ADDED software. And it's not EVEN needed actually. You do know that you can use "my briefcase" to sync your music too right ? Not to mention the many other (yes) programs which can sync. Also, I just found out that the latest version of J.River Media Center now supports IHP playlists.
smily_headphones1.gif


I have nothing against the iPod, or Apple at all. I just don't see the advantages of using the iPod over the IHP. Karma-another story. The next gen Karma may very well crush the hell out of the IHP IMO. Based on the bit of speculation circling the net ATM, it probably will as long as the HD and scroll wheel issues are fixed. By the way...the new iMac looks dope. Oh..and SW DVD trilogy on TUESDAY !!
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
 
Sep 18, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #117 of 164

Bunnyears

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Posts
5,303
Likes
19
I have had two ipods with sample defects, the second of which I plan to exchange as soon as I have the time to waste at the Apple store genius bar. Save yourself time and go with anything that is more reliable than an apple product.
 
Sep 18, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #118 of 164

kunwar

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 21, 2004
Posts
1,308
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yasmin_Khan
ok i'll add that to my list of progs to check out.

Thank you.



if you would like to spend some time learning how the tag editing owrks in Foobar2000 then the best combo out there is using Foobar 2000 to clean up the tags using the multi edit facility for the tracks.
After that just copy all the tag info from ID3V1 to ID3V2 so that they are identical that is as easy as hitting a key.

that will tag your mp3's in a foolproof manner.

Also would recommend using own settings for genre's because it is easier to identify genres with artistes based on your tastes.

Hope that helps
If more info needed, I can provide it.

Kunwar
 
Sep 18, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #119 of 164

JiPi

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 16, 2002
Posts
690
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yasmin_Khan
To be honest I haven't read up on what iTunes can or can't do.
it's something I'm looking into. As well as deciding which player to go for.
I know its for ripping cds to the apple/mp3 format, managing audio files
on the computer for playback, transfer to the ipod and buying audio from it's
store and the fact iTunes charges UK folk a significant more for audio files
than everyone else in the world!
mad.gif



What software do you folks use to TAG your mp3's? Free/Shareware 30day ltd.
im looking for something really SMART that can connect to online databases
and download album/single cover art for the files.

How do you sort/organise your files?
are they by artist? or genre? and how do you define the genre's?
Dance for example has various sub genre's that come and go out of "fashion"
or change.

I know some people have purchased software like Media Center 10,
Music Match & Anapod Explorer.

How would you list albums and singles on your computer?
eg Fires Of Ork, The - The Fires Of Ork 2
http://www.discogs.com/release/31699

would the folder be : [PW 44] Fires Of Ork, The

Would that confuse iTunes? Should I name it in another way?

I think once I have learnt to maintain the folders and files in a certain way
I will be feel a lot more confident in using a database.




I suggest you use Tag&Rename to tag/rename (id3/filename) your music files. It is *very* simple to use and it can do pretty much anything you'd want such a program to do. I used it to tag more than 200 albums and it didn't take that long, takes me about 20-30sec per album when you get used to it (which isnt very hard anyway).

About that Fires Of The Ork 2 album (which is great btw, I have that also!) that you can't figure how to tag.. Here's how I do my tagging: I put every information in it's right place (artist, track title, CD title, track #, style) and then add "Label Name - Catalogue Number" in the Coments field. This is IMO a nice way to keep track of everything and keep it all tidy and classified. I used to classify everything by record label before (in different directories), but now I have just too much stuff, and iTunes makes it easy to manage. I guess you just have to find the way of tagging that will suit you best! (BTW, discogs rocks!!
biggrin.gif
)
 
Sep 18, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #120 of 164

karmypolitics

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 17, 2003
Posts
304
Likes
0
so, what did you pick?? cmon, I know that you wanted to get a karma
smily_headphones1.gif


as for tagging files, I use eac (exact audio copy, just google it) to rip and it comes with a freedb utility that will automatically tag the files. otherwise, you could use foobar, which comes with a freedb utility. just queue the files up, select them, and the freedb plug-in will figure out which album it is. very useful imo
smily_headphones1.gif
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top