Which balanced CDP should I get?
Sep 14, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #17 of 75
How does the M5 sound?

Sep 14, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #18 of 75
The Accuphase.

On the other hand, a Linn Ikemi isn't bad either and would match your criteria. Can be had for around $1400 used. Doubt you can get a better CDP for that price.

Sep 14, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #19 of 75
what about the MCD201. the only complaint i have read about it - and this is from a few users, not reviewers - is that if you are sitting too close to it, sometimes you can hear the transport, as it reads the disc at 4x times normal speed. with my setup, i am right next to my player, so i almost ruled it out based on this alone. that and i am not too familiar with McIntosh products. but it has very good reviews across the board and plays SACD as well.

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #21 of 75
How about a SACDmods Denon DVD-3930CI.

Sounds very nice, and is a universal player.

Worth considering and the price is attractive.

Sep 15, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #22 of 75
Sorry to hijack the thread here, but ...

Pete, how would you compare the sound your modded Denon with your old modded E5 on Redbook CDs? Matt modded my E5 very much like your old one. Unfortunately UPS Ground decided to drop test it on the way home and damaged the transport. I'll get to hear it after installing a new one.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #24 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like the Denon players modded, but I'd have to see if the output is truly balanced. It seems to say the SACDMods makes it so, but I know the 3910 had XLR outs but it didn't produce true balanced output (Very weird) or that was my impression talking to APL hifi who modded it. They said they were unavailable to offer a true balanced rebuild for it for whatever reason (Maybe space constraints since they create their own output stage versus Zap Filter). Of course the 3930 isn't the 3910 and the zapfilter that SACMods puts in probably fully balances everything.

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #25 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about the MCD201. the only complaint i have read about it - and this is from a few users, not reviewers - is that if you are sitting too close to it, sometimes you can hear the transport, as it reads the disc at 4x times normal speed. with my setup, i am right next to my player, so i almost ruled it out based on this alone. that and i am not too familiar with McIntosh products. but it has very good reviews across the board and plays SACD as well.

Make sure you read the whole thread about the MCD201.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76659

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #26 of 75
I think the truth of the matter is the difference between $6k CDP and 3k CDP on red book is smaller than anyone would like to admit.

ok..time for my suggestion!!

I vote for SA60 + DAC (pick the one you want with balanced) - I am not much of a fan for 'Japanese' sound, you may be perfectly happy OTOH; I would personally only buy SA60 for its outstanding transport.

Sep 19, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #29 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that thread is 15 pages long; a lot of it repetitive. which posts do you want me to look at.

Apologies. Rather than pick particular views I think it would be more fair to let us all make our own decision about this player. I did not have very good experiences with it. Some have a differing view. Perhaps the last page if you want to see the current status.

The fact that it is 15 pages is a more a reflection of the way we felt rather than an attempt to be over loquacious.

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #30 of 75
ppl only vote Accuphase cuz it looks good!
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back