Which aspect of sound is more important for you?
Jun 6, 2005 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

hentai

1000+ Head-Fier
You can choose only one and why?

a) musicality, presentation, synergy with your ear and your type of music

b) technical ability, resolution , clarity , fidelity

Jun 6, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai
You can choose only one and why?

a) musicality, presentation, synergy with your ear and your type of music

b) technical ability, resolution , clarity , fidelity

IMHO you cant have A without just a little of B. I mean the can has to be able to *at least some degree* resolve notes and resolve the frequency spectrum, otherwise it'll be just a wall of pink noise. So I guess B is more important to me. I guess at least SOME resolution and technical ability is a requirement. I mean if youre a basshead, and you have thumping cans, but theyre so muddy all you hear is low freq rumble.... its of no value. So technical ability, resolution, and clarity (to at least to some degree) is a minimum requirement.

Jun 6, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
IMHO you cant have A without just a little of B. I mean the can has to be able to *at least some degree* resolve notes and resolve the frequency spectrum, otherwise it'll be just a wall of pink noise. So I guess B is more important to me. I guess at least SOME resolution and technical ability is a requirement. I mean if youre a basshead, and you have thumping cans, but theyre so muddy all you hear is low freq rumble.... its of no value. So technical ability, resolution, and clarity (to at least to some degree) is a minimum requirement.

well i am just asking which is more important for you , of course must have some B but which is the decising factor in choosing the cans. Like dt 880 is techincally better than dt770 but dt770 has more bass for bassheads

Jun 6, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 25
i'd say A because the presentation and synergy of a pair of headphones are very important. you can have a pair of headphones with absolute perfect characters of B, but if it sounds dull or boring, i doubt you'll hang on to them for long.

Jun 6, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 25
I'd go with B. I can't STAND hissy garbled recordings anymore. I mean, REALLY messed up so I can't get into the music. For instance, the Richard X remix of Jetstream looked like it could be a fun remix, but i couldn't listen to the whole thing because it was recorded as hot as a Mammoth in Botswana. It's a shame I tell ya!

Jun 6, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I'd go with B. I can't STAND hissy garbled recordings anymore. I mean, REALLY messed up so I can't get into the music. For instance, the Richard X remix of Jetstream looked like it could be a fun remix, but i couldn't listen to the whole thing because it was recorded as hot as a Mammoth in Botswana. It's a shame I tell ya!

i refer more to gear wise, but actually quality of recording is very important.

Though my rig is not one of the best in headfi , i feel those common pop ablums are doing injustice to it

Jun 6, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

i refer more to gear wise, but actually quality of recording is very important.

Though my rig is not one of the best in headfi , i feel those common pop ablums are doing injustice to it

Yep, it's somewhat related. If I needed a very muddy unresolving forgiving rig to listen to that crappy recording, i don't know if i would do it. The only system that i've heard it on that masks it enough to make it tolerable is the factory system in my parents' leased minivan - and the radio still sounds better than that CD lol!

So i'll go for a clear resolving rig any day. Sure, alot of my CD library doesn't sound as good anymore, but the tracks that do REALLY put the shine on my teeth. Consider that i think about4 days worth of music in my library should stay in the closet, but now i have 3 weeks worth of music that sounds better than i've ever heard it.

Jun 6, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 25
A is more of a priority, but its a balancing act and a fine line on a continoum where everyone is different. Some cans are closer to A on the continoum, some closer to B.

However, i think i may have found the can that lies right down the middle...

Jun 6, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
A is more of a priority, but its a balancing act and a fine line on a continoum where everyone is different. Some cans are closer to A on the continoum, some closer to B.

However, i think i may have found the can that lies right down the middle...

your both rs-1 and hd650 have great B but when comes to A , which will you prefer?

Btw you have the best of both worlds.
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

your both rs-1 and hd650 have great B but when comes to A , which will you prefer?

When it comes to A, the RS-1 kicks the HD650 imho.

But I think he was referring to his new HP-2 lol. I agree- those HP1000 drivers are the final word in dynamic realism imho.

Jun 6, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150

I guess you are unsure of i am trying to imply , maybe because i said ' you can only choose one' doesn't mean i am trying to say they are mutually exclusive. What i mean is your ultimate priority

Jun 6, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
When it comes to A, the RS-1 kicks the HD650 imho.

But I think he was referring to his new HP-2 lol. I agree- those HP1000 drivers are the final word in dynamic realism imho.

That's why i tell myself , if i want to have a proper upgrade , rs1/HP-2 will be top of my list. But i won't be upgrading for a few years from now

Jun 6, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

I guess you are unsure of i am trying to imply , maybe because i said ' you can only choose one' doesn't mean i am trying to say they are mutually exclusive. What i mean is your ultimate priority

Oh... I got it... I would have to say... A has a higher priority for my tastes. All my cans are pretty colored and far from flat/accurate, But they do have some ability to resolve details.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back