Which amplifiers should I consider?
Sep 18, 2013 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Shaffer

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi folks. I'm new here, having recently discovered the benefits of headphones. I've been involved with audio for +30 years, and it's never too late to learn something new. My system is fronted by analog front ends, along with an Oppo105  going into Krell/Dunlavy, which brings me here. You see, I recently purchased a LDIII and found it inadequate. It's simply a level (at least) below the 105's headphone amp in sound quality. I'm driving DT990pros and expecting 880/600 tomorrow. If the 105 can drive the 880s I'm all set. The LDIII will move to my office and happiness and joy will cover the land. If the 105 won't drive the 880s, I'll need a better amplifier. Given the expectation of serious (for a lack of a better word) performance, what should I be looking at? SS or tube is fine, though I'd prefer ss. A sense of crystalline clarity is number one on the list of wants.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 33
Headamp GSX Mk2 & Sennheiser HD800.

Or, if you want electrostatic:-

Headamp BHSE & Stax SR009.

Otherwise, go the scenic route and slowly upgrade your gear as you learn.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 33
Heh, the scenic route isn't what I had in mind. I'm looking for a high-resolution amplifier. I really like the 990pros; they do what I need them to with the 105's headphone input. The sound is actually extremely impressive. It's the 880/600 I'm concerned about. Thanks.

Edit: I'm not sure I want the end-game; in fact I know that I don't. I want a piece that offers high-end sound: clarity, resolution, blah, blah, blah. Any other options?

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 33
GS-X MKII amp is probably what you need since you are asking the question in the high end forum. Not too sure if you can still get on the current batch order given the recent buzz, but I will jump into getting one if it is still available.

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 33
The trouble here is that any significant step up makes you think sound reproduction doesn't get any better - until you hear something the next step up - etc etc.

You will see posts in this forum from posters who rave about the difference between two pieces of equipment. or sets of equipment. Night & day difference.

Some hear it, some don't.

The difference between 2 different headphones may not be readily apparent even over half an hour of auditioning.
Give yourself a month living with them continuously, and the differences can be dramatic even though the difference percentage-wise may only be about 5%.
This is due to the hearers' preferences in bass reproduction, high frequency extension, sound linearity, detail extraction, prat (pace, rhyrhm, attack, timing), the level listened at, synergy with the rest of the line, etc, etc.

The sonic world is your oyster bed, choose your oysters carefully.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 33
  Any other suggestions? I'm not looking to be spoonfed; just that personal listening is new to me and I'd like a jumping-off point as far as quality amplification.

No-one, really? I don't mind telling you guys that I'm a little disappointed. FWIW, I'm a member of a fairly exclusive high-performance audio forum populated by guys with at least +30 years in the hobby. Guys what? We help people who ask for our guidance, and not simply dismiss their concerns. Can't believe I had to write this. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 33

No-one, really? I don't mind telling you guys that I'm a little disappointed. FWIW, I'm a member of a fairly exclusive high-performance audio forum populated by guys with at least +30 years in the hobby. Guys what? We help people who ask for our guidance, and not simply dismiss their concerns. Can't believe I had to write this.

Who dismissed your concerns exactly?

Use the search function and start researching thousands upon thousands of posts that will help you resolve your questions much more in depth than getting a few replies (mid-week btw) here. Can't believe I had to write this. This is standard procedure on any public forum.

-Daniel

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 33

It's not that nobody wants to answer you. It's just that this post is posted in the wrong forum. If you are looking for high end gear, be ready to spend 2k+. If you are looking for something more reasonable for your DT880's, I would repost in the amp section because they would give you options from $100-1500. I would suggest the spl auditor.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #12 of 33

It's not that nobody wants to answer you. It's just that this post is posted in the wrong forum. If you are looking for high end gear, be ready to spend 2k+. If you are looking for something more reasonable for your DT880's, I would repost in the amp section because they would give you options from $100-1500. I would suggest the spl auditor.

Perhaps it's a noob mistake on my part. Am I correct in understanding that high-end is delineated soleley on a monetary level. It's not the performance; it's the price. LIke for real? lol

This is like us saying that an Oppo105 is not high-end, because it doesn't cost enough. Its astounding performance be damned. My head just spun around.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 33

I have searched. I'd like to hear from folks who understand quality sound. I was told this is the place.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 33
Maybe you can start stating your budget for a start? I mean there are so many amplifiers out there, and your description of what you are looking for is pretty vague. Seriously, other than suggesting the best amplifier possible for your seemingly need, I really don't know what else I can add. It is like someone asking opinion for the a fast and comfortable car, it is pretty tough to suggest one when there are so many around. Yes, you may need to navigate yourself and get familiarized with the forum here. Most of the amplifiers we discuss here in this forum are good amplifiers. There is a sub-forum on amplifiers if you notice, and that is by no means low-end audio. In the "high-end audio" section which is categorized under Summit-Fi, peiople usually discuss about the "best" around which sometimes is end-game for some. Since you are not interested in end-game, then of course, you can't blame others for not chipping in to your request under this section, and especially on a question that is quite vague. As suggested by some, go and post a more detailed question with a budget at the "amplifiers" section, you may get what you want. Cheers!

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #15 of 33

Perhaps it's a noob mistake on my part. Am I correct in understanding that high-end is delineated soleley on a monetary level. It's not the performance; it's the price. LIke for real? lol

This is like us saying that an Oppo105 is not high-end, because it doesn't cost enough. Its astounding performance be damned. My head just spun around.

Isn't it so obvious that this "Summit-Fi" forum is delineated on price point of the equipments? I do think there are good reasons to do it this way, as things like sound quality, performance, etc are mainly subjective opinions.

What you are doing is like asking suggestion in such forum without stating clear target and budget, but then dismissed suggestions and went rage yourself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back