Which amp with triple fi?
Jul 1, 2008 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

blackcatz

Head-Fier
Hi all! Looking for a amp to go with my triple fi, looking for something that has lots of soundstage and depth any maybe solve the midrange and bass problem of the triple fi. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 20
Well, I'm tempted to ask what midrange & bass problem? But let it pass...

RSA Predator is said to be excellent. I have RSA Hornet & very much approve, also use Xin SuperMicro IV, but good luck with that
wink.gif
You may be able to pick up one in the FS section as I did....at $$$ tho.

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 20
I have an iQube and it has great synergy with the Triples

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #4 of 20
Certainly not a bass problem but the midrange occasionally has trouble reproducing some frequencies and needs to be a little more forward. This is just my opinion, of course. Some think the midrange is fine.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm tempted to ask what midrange & bass problem? But let it pass...

RSA Predator is said to be excellent. I have RSA Hornet & very much approve, also use Xin SuperMicro IV, but good luck with that
wink.gif
You may be able to pick up one in the FS section as I did....at $$$ tho.

I have tyhe headphonia headstage lyrix Prto USB Amp/DAC and I think the bass boost works wonderfully. I havent tried any higher end amplifier but with the HD555 (lots of people feel the bass is lacking with the hd555, that right there should be the line that separate a basshead from the rest imho) the becomes more prominent and very detailed. It is among the best things Ive found in the Lyrix. It is very cheap (i got mine at 130 on ebay)and according to a lot of experienced headfiers seems to be the best bang for your buck. Even when it left me searching when paired with the HD650, the reason for which i bought it, i kept it because I find it makes the HD555 sound sooo much better.

If you are not in a budget it seems that the RSA Predator is simply the best portable for a solid margin, be iut used with full sized, hard to drive cans or with IEMs, people is just crazy about its performance. I have considred getting it but Im with cross fingers hoping my soon to arrive triple fis along with the lyrix with take care oif my desperate upgraditis that has been with me for close to 2months now.

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #6 of 20
i use the rsa tomahawk which i think works really well

Jul 1, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 20
I would have to say the Predator works great with the TF10s. It is interesting though that even with the headphone out using lossless files the sound ain't too bad. Shows the beauty of these phones.

Jul 2, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 20
X2 on Predator or tomahawk. used both with my Triples with excellent results.

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #9 of 20
How much difference does the amp actually make ? I Mean is it a hugeeee *****$ improvement or is it just a fractional thing, which only audiophiles can guess...
rolleyes.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by western120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much difference does the amp actually make ? I Mean is it a hugeeee *****$ improvement or is it just a fractional thing, which only audiophiles can guess...
rolleyes.gif

depends on the DAP. Mine is a 5.5gImod and the addition of an amp is very huge. When I use either the 5.5g headphone out, or my Ipod Nano, I can definitely tell something's not as big, soundstage or soundwise, than if I was using an amp And i think the better the IEM the more pronouced this becomes

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 20
iQube

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by western120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif

Somthing in between
smily_headphones1.gif

My triple.fis without an amp straight out of the headphone jack of my 2G nano and 5G iPod are very good IEMS, better than any earbud or IEM I've ever heard, and arguably close to any headphone I've heard. The amp fed from LOD pushes them that extra step into, "Okay, this is why you might spend more $300 on these little blue things". It kicks the whole sound spectrum into gear even at low volume levels, something they don't do unamped. It smooths out the resolution across the sound spectrum from low to high, something they don't do unamped (unuamped favors the midrange to low high end to my ear).

That said, it's still an admittedly small difference, but it's a very real and noticeable difference all the same. If you never had them amped, you'd probably never know you were missing anything, and even with an amp you'd probably never say you had to have an amp to enjoy them. If you do have an amp, though, yes, you'll notice the difference and be pleased with the improvement.

I look at it this way: I already had the amp. Triple.fis plus an amp sound like $300-plus headphones to my ears, triple.fis without an amp don't sound like $300-plus headphones to my ears. If I didn't have the amp, I can't honestly say I'd consider them worth their price without the amp or that I'd consider them worth adding the amp's price into the equation.

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
depends on the DAP. Mine is a 5.5gImod and the addition of an amp is very huge. When I use either the 5.5g headphone out, or my Ipod Nano, I can definitely tell something's not as big, soundstage or soundwise, than if I was using an amp And i think the better the IEM the more pronouced this becomes

well I would be using it to improve the SQ of cowon D2 and TF10. So would the improvement be significant or is it just that the sound gets louder?

@ channum: Well I have never had any experience with amps. And I am happy with the SQ of TF10 sometimes. But yeah sometimes I feel they don't justify the price that much

Jul 2, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #15 of 20
The D2 has a very high output, so no it would not be a question of volume. I don't use amps for volume, btw - my DAPs are plenty loud enough. It's about the SQ and a sense of ease in delivering the music. I agree almost totally w/ channum & that's why I pretty much always use an amp, & miss it when I don't...

Lot of RSA people here
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back