Which amp to make?
post-771703
Post #1 of 3

Gobd

Head-Fier
Reaction score
I want to make an amp as a project, I'm thinking of going from the line out from my 16bit Soundblaster to my MDR-D66 heaphones. Which amp should I make and where can I find insturctions? Thanks for any help you can offer, this is my first amp so I don't want anything too complicating but nothing too simple either.

I'd also be using it from line out on my iRivier SP350 CD player to the same headphones.

post-772135
Post #2 of 3

thrice

Member of the Trade:Rockhopper Audio
Reaction score
I found tanget's site a great place to start. Read as much as you can. His site is full of great info.

Audiologica

I recently started with this about 3 weeks ago. I built a CMOY and a MINT amp. Personally I like the MINT amp better...the sound is tighter overall. If you've never soldered...etc. then the CMOY is a great way to start...it'll cost about $25-$30 in parts and it's fun to make. The MINT amp takes a little more finese and costs a little more to make.

Have a blast, the whole process is great. Also, if you go the CMOY route (or even the MINT route) you might want to think about getting two amps worth of parts. I know it came in handy for me

post-772373
Post #3 of 3

Megaptera

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
The Cmoy is definitely a good first project. If you're concerned that it's too "entry-level" (which you shouldn't be), you can put one together for under $20 in parts, as a test -- with one working Cmoy done, you'll have a better idea of how to put together more complicated amps, or a really nice Cmoy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)