Which amp for ue-11's: iQube, Hornet or Pico
Nov 28, 2008 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Agentred

Head-Fier
Hi Everyone

I know these threads have often been done to death, but everyone has their own rig and I wondered what you thought would go with my UE-!!'s and Imod 4th Gen.

A few things: size-wise they're all similar to me, price-wise The Pico and iQube are almost twice the price of the hornet. The Pico gets the DAC which may be useful.

Anyway, any opinions? I have a really good deal but not sure which amp to buy. Many thanks,

H

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 17
If you think the DAC will be a great feature, go for the Pico. If not, most people say that the iQube is one of the best portable amps.

I think the Hornet is somewhere behind those two portable amps, from what I've read.

You may also consider the newer amps from Ray SAmuels: THe p-51 Mustang and the Predator( which has the DAC feature as well ).

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 17
I have heard the Hornet and I thought it was fantastic to my ears, but from what I have read, the iQube ranks above the Hornet (I have not heard the iQube).

Have you looked at the review of the RSA P-51 Mustang?

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 17
1. iQube (Amp only but best SQ)
2. Pico (Best DAC so if you will use one get the Pico - amp section still in the top range of portable amps)
3. Hornet (Like you say, pricewise much better and still a very very good performer - also have choice of 'M' or 'Non-M' versions
wink.gif
).

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 17
I Pre-Oredered A P-51 Mustang after researching for about a month. You should check it out, it's the one! Hurry and put that order in they're shipping soon can't wait!!
Headphile808

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #7 of 17
Thanks for all the suggestions!

A Mustang eh?? This throws a spanner in the works! Researching it now, the RSA's are so well regarded on here.

I'm not sure about the DAC, the UE-!!s are too sensitive for most of the computer headphone jacks I've tried so a DAC would be handy... I dunno if it's worth the extra outlay though...

Sometimes I just wanna give up and buy the Zune, it's small and easy and should sound good with the UE's. But I like the file system I have set up on my PC and that's actually the major reason I wanna get an imod... darn id3 sorting!!

Still, Zune vs. iMod and amp, is the increase in sound quality enough to justify the extra clutter, hassle and more than double the price? Also, (slightly off topic) could I use an amp with my Zune? It doesn't have a dedicated LO so it would just be pointless plugging and amp into the headphone socket right? (still slightly new to this here scene!)

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 17
Two, choices imo,

iQube, or SR71A.

Ive heard both and own the iQube with my UE11s.

The iQube is more transparent and has better control of the bass(goes very deep), but the midrange is a little held back.

The SR71A has a very fleshed out midrange, but the bass is a little too much.

Both are great. I would probably go with the SR71A because of the great midrange. Its still very transparent, but just not as much as the iQube.

Good luck!

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 17
Interesting, you rank both the iBasso D3 above the Pico. Haven't seen many people that think this way
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, you rank both the iBasso D3 above the Pico. Haven't seen many people that think this way
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, i prefer the amp section of D3 than PICO for UE11 w/ iMod, not the DAC.
I like brighter sound type of D3, for me PICO too warm, bit too much bass for UE11.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 17
IQube or SR 71A. I have both. Different sound on each. But, both work great with the UE-11.

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFight77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tried several portable amps UE11, my rank for amp SQ only will be :
1. iQube ( little hiss when no music playing, IMO the best synergy w/UE11)
2. Predator / iBasso D3
3. PICO

Aaaaaarrrgh Hiss??? I have a personal vendetta against hiss!! I sold my Kenwood HD60GD9EC because my UE-!!'s picked up a slight hiss when music wasn't playing.

I'm leaning towards the iQube now but does anyone know anything about the i-Qube Version 2? It looks bigger and there's a little hole in the back for (maybe?) USB so the V2 could include a DAC. Anyone know when it's released?

Thanks for all the input everyone, definitely feel more knowledgable than when I was blindly reading 100 comparison threads! Any more advice on using an amp with a Zune considering it has no line out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back