which amp for ksc-35?
May 26, 2002 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

mr man

Head-Fier
I'm looking at either the basic cmoy or the cha47. This will be my first amp so I want it to be easy. I've read that the cha47 works well for grados but those phones are 32 ohms while the ksc-35s are 60 ohms. Can anyone compare the two amps?

p.s. I just discovered the a47. how does this amp differ (in terms of sound) from the cha47?

May 26, 2002 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 18
The original Chu Moy Pocket Amp is fine for most heaphone listening , a good sounding basic amp.Also a good first project.

http://headwize.com/projects/showpro...=cmoy2_prj.htm

The Hansen amp is a Chu Moy amp with a crossfeed circuit on a printed circut board for easy assembly.

The Apheared 47 amp is a Chu Amp with doubled op-amps for higher current output into low inpedence cans,a nore dynamic sound with Grados.

The CHA 47 is a combination of ALL the above amps
C = Chu Moy Pocket Amp
H = Hansen circuit board with crossfeed
A47 = current doubling opamps

May 26, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 18
yes the hansen board was based on Jazz's layout , but the "47" stands for the current doubled (two op-amp) version on the hansen pcb.As shown in the pocket amp project addendum and apheareds project scrapbook

May 26, 2002 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 18
Well, actually the 47 stands for the value of the resistor that is there to keep the dual opamps from frying cans with the output current.

May 26, 2002 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 18
point made , and the CHA47 designation has caused MAJOR confusion and probably should be dropped from the Head-Fi dictionary (or explained in a DIY forum FAQ)
I have even seen it in reference to PPL's amps

But the above description by me pretty much explains each amp type though not all the possible variants which REALLY confuse the newbies to no end.

My advice for first timers is to build the basic Chu Moy Pocket Amp , gain match it to the application and THEN consider something more advanced , such as raising the current output of the amp.
And that could be easily implemented by either-----------
A-paralleling a second op-amp "piggybacked" for more current (with load resistors added to the output of EVERY op-amp)
B-adding a buffer to the output , either by just "hanging " it on the output or using the multiloop feed back configuration.Also easily added without modification the the basic amp

May 27, 2002 at 9:47 AM Post #11 of 18
Did I read right or did you guys say that the CHA47 is just the CMOY amp with 47 ohm resistors on the audio outs? I mean Tangents design with the dual opamp..and placing 47ohm resistors in place of the jumpers?
I don't believe there is crossfeed in my CHA47 that I bought used.
What the flerck? Is there a CHA47 schematic online?
md

May 27, 2002 at 12:47 PM Post #12 of 18
Apheared was looking to get the most out of his Grado headphones and was always experimenting.This is what he came up with

aph_47b.gif

he used a dual op-amp PER CHANNEL in a current doubling configuration.The "47" designation came from the use of passive parts with a vlue factor of 47

the original idea is from this data sheet-
http://www.burr-brown.com/download/ABs/AB-051.pdf

I have used a variation on this for years which also gives good performance and can be simply added to ANY op-amp based amp.That is by piggybacking an identical op-amp on top of the first but you must use some resistors on the output (47 ohms or so) or the amps will fight each other

this is the original chu moy pocket amp ,a basic single stage amplifier that is really very good at driving just about any headphone

cmoy2_3.gif

Jan meiers natural bass crossfeed
meier2_4.gif

The Levallois layout
leval4.gif

and finally the hansen pc boards using that layout

hansen1.gif

hansen2.gif

all this can be found at the headwize project library

http://headwize.com/projects/showpro...heared_prj.htm

http://headwize.com/projects/showpro...=cmoy2_prj.htm

http://headwize.com/projects/showpro...meier2_prj.htm

May 27, 2002 at 1:01 PM Post #13 of 18
Apheared was no fan of crossfeed circuits so he was always screwing around with the hansen board ,trying for more current

aph_hansen3.gif

notice there is no crossfeed but there IS two dual op-amps

this is mikes volume pot wiring mod

aph_hansen5.gif

and finally this scary monster

aph_hansen4.gif

build it at your own risk
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

May 28, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 18
I don't see what's confusing about the CHA47. It can only mean one thing: an (A)pheared "47" amp, which is based on (C)moy's pocket amp, and built on a (H)ansen board. It has to be called a "47" amp because it is still the exact same circuit whether it's on the Hansen board or not, and "47" is what Apheared named the circuit. The CHA is just the tribute to the three persons involved in the evolution of the end product.

Quote:

Grr! It's *not* an A47! It's a levallois with Meier crossfeed! "CHA47" is one of my pet peeves... it's a CHL.

Grr! It *is* an A47 if you build it that way. The Hansen board can be either one. Perhaps that is the source of the confusion. You can wire the Hansed board as either the Levallois (cmoy front end + meier crossfeed + unity gain opamp) or the standard Apheared "47" (47-based resistors + current boosting parallel opamps + no crossfeed). You can probably wire it up as the standard cmoy with some jumpers, though you would be wasting the other half of your dual opamps due to the board design.

May 28, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #15 of 18
Damn! No wonder there are so many holes in the board on my CHA47. The on board components are the same as the cmoy..except for the dual opamps.
Sheesh!
Now I gotta bother JMT again!
Thanks,
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back