1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Which amp for HD650

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by cyberathlete, Jul 25, 2011.
Next

Last
  1. CyberAthlete
    So in my previous thread it was established that I should go for the HD650. Which I will, but they stated that I would need an amp to get the most out of the headphones.

What's the best amp to get for them? Let's go with:
    Budget $100:
    Budget $200:
    Budget $300:

Please note:

80% use with my PC (Creative Titanium X-Fi Sound card) - Games and Music

20% use with my Harmon Kardan AVR225 Receiver - Games and Movies.

0% use with portable audio products (MP3 players, iPad, laptop etc)

Thanks again!

2. CyberAthlete
  3. PanamaRed
    Budget $300: Little Dot Mk III (~$240 shipped)

4. keanex Contributor
    I would avoid the uDAC, there's some pretty bad press about them as of late.

For your $100 budget the FiiO E9 should be able to adequately drive it.

5. Ultrainferno
    OTL. Bottlehead Crack

6. Gradofan2
    Millett Hybrid MiniMax - just a phenomenal match!

It will end your search - you won't be second guessing your decision!

7. CyberAthlete
    Thanks although some one also recommended Little Dot MKIII I will read up on both although reviews on the Little Dot MKIII are really positive for the HD 650. Thanks again everyone for the recommendations!

8. slifferstorm
    Hi,

I would advice you a Lake people G93 (about 250$ I guess), or a G97 Amp but maybe a little bit expensive for your budget. Lake people amps are really dynamic , dry and precise, and they partly solve the problems of the headphone (even if I love this headphone, I admit the sound is a little veiled and "flabby": the lake people clearly wake it up!). Moreover, I think an amp like a littledot would make the sound of the HD650 too warm, I think. Personally my HD650 is coupled with a lake people G100, which makes a great job.

BTW Sorry if my english is not perfect :) .

9. Mottom
    I really enjoy my Schiit Asguard ($249) with my 650's. I have also listened to a friend's Bottlehead Crack (with the speedball option - total $299) and love the tube sound there too. Can't go wrong with either. Good luck...

10. CyberAthlete
    You know I was reading on the Schiit Asgard review on CNET and they were raving about it. I may look into that one..thx!

11. wwmhf
    Mating 650 with a tube amp is good way to go, especially if you listen to jazz/vocal.

12. TakashiMiike

Quote:

The OP should not be buying a portable amp, regardless of budget. Also I strongly disagree with your suggestion.

13. Ultrainferno

Quote:

x2. No fiio ever fore me

14. tdockweiler
    I didn't like the E9 much with the HD-650. Same with the Asgard. Well, the Asgard was OK, but I prefer it for the HD-600.
    My favorite amp for the HD-650 is Headroom Micro Amp. Strangely it also seems to have good synergy with the AKG K601/K702, which is what I wanted.

The E9 is just "OK" for the HD-650. The HD-650 definitely won't be at it's best. Seriously, it had better synergy with my $99 Total Airhead. I wish I was joking!

15. Ultrainferno
    Listen to two 1000+ headfiers [​IMG]

Next

Last