Which amp for Beyerdynamics DT990 pro 600 ohm?
Oct 27, 2008 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Speakerjunky

New Head-Fier
For anyone with a pair of DT990 Pro's, what amp would you recommend under $400 bucks?

FYI: I produce electro-house and trance and I would like to hear my productions at optimal amp-phone configuration at a fair price.

Oct 27, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 8
dt990/600 really need some power. I've been getting away with using a Corda Prehead MkII (they orig. sold for aprox $1100 and were closed out at $750 when Jan was about to introduce the Opera. They have the SQ that is a good match for your 'phones. Nothing really comes to mind for your stated budget. Maybe you'll get lucky. DarkVoice also have worked o.k. Good luck.

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speakerjunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For anyone with a pair of DT990 Pro's, what amp would you recommend under $400 bucks?

FYI: I produce electro-house and trance and I would like to hear my productions at optimal amp-phone configuration at a fair price.

Perhaps an EC/SS?

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:

You may want try some of the amps from China.  I currently own eight Chinese Amps and one American.  Four Chinese portables, four desktop Chinese, and one American Portable amp. 

For desktop or home base applications, I have had very good experiences with the Little Dot MKV and I the most recent addition to my lineup is the Little Dot DAC_II which features an integrated headphone amp with a very high-quality DAC by Wolfson.  I have the Beyerdynamic DT990 600-ohm variant and the combination of Little Dot MKV or DAC_II is quite spectacular.  This is from my perspective that is.  All of this well within the budget specified.

Hope this helps.  Have a Great week and weekend.

Jul 9, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 8
I have read several posts saying that these phones work well with tube amps.

I am also happy to know that they work well with LD MKV because I also have this amp. 

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 8
the consensus would be the better tube amps out there to power your dt990 :)

but i have my dt990 600 ohms and i'm having enjoyable sound from a little dot mark II with ef92 mullards for driver tubes (entry level tube amp) and a solid state audio-gd c-2c :)

good luck on your choice! 

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 8
I just got a new pair of DT990 600ohm headphones. It works well on my SEX amp, but not so well on my HLLY amp. HLLY seems not to have enough power to drive them, I have to turn the volume dial close 2 o'clock while 10~11 o'clock position is enough for my HD650. 

Since the HLLY is kind of clone of LD MKIV, this makes me think whether these will perform in a similar way in a LD MKIV.

Please discount my impression since these phones are new used only for a couple hours.

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #8 of 8
Keep in mind that volume and drive aren't necessarily the same thing.  My custom amp is easily my strongest amp, but I have to put it to 2 or 3 with many of my headphones--once it gets up there, it sounds great.  Better than some of my other amp solutions at the same volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back