Which albums sound best with your Grado?
Apr 16, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #91 of 295
I've listened to The Civil Wars before, though not on headphones. It's great to see a group like them have success.

I think Grados sound great with bluegrass/folk because they can accurately reproduce the percussive elements and nuances of guitars and other stringed instruments. I love the 'thump' felt from an aggressively picked acoustic guitar with these cans.

Quote:
I didn't see this one mentioned.  If you like Alison Krauss, I think you will like The Civil Wars.

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #92 of 295
I agree (I paraphrased your quote because it didn't carry over for some reason). I have headphones that are more expensive and are probably technically superior to my Grado SR80s, but for some folk/acoustic/live material there aren't any headphones that I've heard that do it any better by brand than Grados. Most instruments (especially anything with strings) just have this natural sound to them that makes you feel like you're in the band.

Quote:
*Some stuff about instruments and voices sounding natural and expressive on Grados*

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #93 of 295

Quote:
I agree (I paraphrased your quote because it didn't carry over for some reason). I have headphones that are more expensive and are probably technically superior to my Grado SR80s, but for some folk/acoustic/live material there aren't any headphones that I've heard that do it any better by brand than Grados. Most instruments (especially anything with strings) just have this natural sound to them that makes you feel like you're in the band.

So true...I had some Beyerdynamic DT880s in house...unbelievably comfortable and I was enamored with them physically. But all accounts, these are very good headphones with a large following. But yet I preferred my little $99 Grado SR 80s to them in terms of enjoyment.  They are just more organic and natural sounding to my ears in terms of the way they reproduce instruments and vocals...I can't get over it.

Also will throw out another vote for the Civil Wars...I picked up the MP3 of their album off Amazon and it's some of the best sounding music in my library. I love the whole album.

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #95 of 295

Quote:
I feel odd saying this, but I'm currently in love with Adele's voice right now! I'm currently listening to her album 21 through my 225s and I'm blown away by her voice. Highly recommended.

If you like that - try getting her "Live From The Royal Albert Hall" album (CD & DVD).  I hardly listen to 21 any more.  She is magnificent live.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #96 of 295
Led Zeppline House of the Holy, No Quarter is just....No words on the RS-2

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #98 of 295
Alice in Chains-MTV Unplugged is simply amazing!
Santana III
Jethro Tull- Aqualung Remastered 2011

I love that I can listen to live Rock and Roll again with my new 325is!  For too long Ive been gettin by with some AKG 701s (great for live jazz, suck for Rock).  Its like opening the window on a stuffy room (listening to Grado)
cool.gif

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #101 of 295
Machine Head's The Blackening is a fantastic sounding album!

Also, any of Lindsey Stirling's songs.

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #103 of 295
]Glad to see some action in this thread. :D

Just bought this CD ( Adventures in Your Own Backyard ) yesterday and it's really good. If you are a fan of Patrick Watson or The Cinematic Orchestra you'll like Adventures in Your Own Backyard

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JytEqxjg5xs&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/VIDEO]

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #105 of 295

Quote:
Anything by The Black Keys sounds magical to my ears

Not El Camino though; Auerbach should be embarrassed of himself for putting that dredge out.

Are you familiar with their EP entitled Chulahoma? It is my favorite of their releases, actually; it's a collection of six Junior Kimbrough blues covers. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back