which < $100 USB DAC? (M-Audio, Edirol, Xitel...)
May 12, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #16 of 24
Welp, I just won the auction on ebay for the Sonica ~ $46 shipped... not too bad - only problem is now I'm really broke. Guess I'll have to wait to be able to use the thing. By the way what does that black gate mod do for the Sonica - is it really noticable?? I found the thread with pictures on doing the mod:

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hlight=m-audio

Are those two caps marked green in the picture the only two worth replacing?? I'm basically dumb when it comes to this electronics stuff. Hopefully someone on the board can tell me what's worth doing without going into all that changing the power source deal.

Thanks.

May 12, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #17 of 24
I tried to do the black gate mod, but I fecked it up, and had to get someone who knows what they're doing to fix it up for me. If you don't know what you're doing, don't try it.

It was two weeks between when I heard the original and the modded version, so I can't really tell if it made much of a difference. It sounded pretty good before, and it sounds good now.

May 12, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #18 of 24
Ticomojo,

as for the Sonica's drivers, version 1205 should be the bit-perfect. Installation CD contains ver. 1102 and the latest driver to download from the M-Audio website is 1220. If you can't find ver. 1205 on the web, just PM me and I can send it to you.

Jun 27, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #20 of 24
Jun 27, 2004 at 12:05 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrheath
Many thanks. Mark

Not at all.
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #24 of 24
If you're the DIY type, there is a new USB DAC that a parts kit will be available for soon. It's just a group build/buy of the board and related parts. The kit without IC's is expected to be around $30 plus shipping.

I built one and it sounds better than my Sonica when run on batteries. Since it uses batteries, the noise floor is much deeper than the Sonica and so far, I like the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back