Where's the other half of my drive?
Mar 23, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sycraft
Your BIOS is probably out of date and has a hard limit. Update your BIOS, try again.

Or buy external HDD controller if the above fails.

You could also install linux if you don't want to buy HDD controller, but you didn't hear it from me.

Mar 23, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 10
Also just a note, harddrives are listed in GB not GiB from the manufacturers. A 300GB harddrive has 300 x 10^9 bytes, not 300 x 2^30. So there will be discrepancy in what you bought and what Windows reports, though not one as big as you are having.

Mar 23, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 10
How do I update my BIOS?

Also, I foolishly only made a 5 (something)B partition for C:, to install windows on. I forgot the OSs were so huge nowadays. Is there any way to make it bigger, using some unpartitioned free space from the drive (which I have even now)

Also, I bought a SuSE 10 distro and planned to use it, but it won't work. See thread here
http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php?showtopic=33984[/URL]

Mar 23, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 10
Windows XP without Service Pack 1 or 2 does not support drives larger than about 128GiB or so. If you are running Windows XP you can check what SP version you have by right-clicking my computer -> properties and under the "general" tab there should be a heading "System:". One of the lines should say Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2.

Mar 23, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 10
If your system shows whole capacity for the drive (i.e. 320GB), then no BIOS update needed --> only the SP1 or SP2 like already mentioned.

If you need to update the bios, you'll get the update from support pages of your motherboard manufacturer (check carefully the model of your mobo).

jiitee

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #10 of 10
Re: BIOS updates

That is the providence of the manufacturer of your motherboard. So whoever made your motherboard, go to their site and get their BIOS update utility. For new boards, it will likely run form Windows, for older ones, it will require you make a DOS boot floppy.

Re: Service Pack 2

Yes MS will give it to you (at no charge) and you should get it without delay. Simply run Windows Update and it will proceede to get you to the latest updated version, which included SP2. SP2 has a great many enhancements, including to security, you want it for sure.

Re: Resizing drives

There's no MS support for this because it can cause data loss. However Partition Magic, from Powerquest, will do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back