Where were you? What were you doing?
Sep 11, 2002 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

millerdog

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey peeps,
Can we just remember this as a day when America stood together? A day when we were all shocked. A day when we all shed tears. A day when we put all cultural differences aside and finally realized that we are all Americans?
have a safe day where ever you are.
md

Sep 11, 2002 at 11:24 AM Post #3 of 38
Peace, Love and Respect
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2002 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 38
I am literally aghast at the idiocy I see other places on the internet where people attempt to justify the terroist attacks because 'American had it coming'. It truly makes me disgusted at how cowardly and short sighted people can be.

Sep 11, 2002 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 38
Let's just all remember.

We're not all Americans, even if we're living here. Some of the people who are Americans might not look that way. Last week I walked past some dirtbag on 3rd Ave shouting at a little guy who might have been of Indian or Paskistani descent that he should go back to his own country. I felt like kicking his ass and giving him a history lesson and maybe I should have. If there's one thing that has to be preserved through all this it's tolerance for other cultures.

(and sticking to the title, I was on a plane arriving into Japan. The pilot had just turned on the PA to say that we should all look out the window as it was the most beautiful approach he had ever seen - clouds parted after a week of thunderstorms to show Mt. Fuji with the sun shining on it. We spent the next week watching CNN and waiting for a chance to get home.)

Sep 11, 2002 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 38
Just got home from school to watch the whole thing live. 2nd crash, first fall and 2nd fall, the whole thing.. It was terrible.

(I'm in a different time zone)

Sep 11, 2002 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 38
I was just getting ready to leave the main office and saw the news about the second plane on the clinic TV. Got to the other clinic just before they fell. I haven't got the faintest idea what I did at work that day. The head of the service department told me to be sure to fill up the car on the way back to the office - gas lines were already forming.

When I got home that night, my wife and I talked about whether or not to take my 3 & 5 year olds to the county fair/rodeo which was one of the few things that day that didn't get called off. We decided I should take them, and I splurged and bought the unlimited ride passes and took them on every ride I could get them on - wondering if this might be the last "normal" time we would ever have. I thought that as many as 10,000 families had just lost all hope of "normal". While I did see some friends there, it was a very low turn-out night.

The most ironic thing about the whole night was that the kids favorite thing was the Titanic slide (a big inflated slide that looked like the sinking ship). I kept thinking, in 90 years from now, is some carival operator going keep the kids who are two young to know, or even understand, entertained with a Falling Twin Towers ride?

frown.gif

Sep 11, 2002 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 38
I was preparing to deliver a class in San Francisco. I was getting dressed and watching CNN when I first saw what was happening. I am still a bit miffed that my boss would not allow me to cancel the class after discovering what had happened. No one wanted to "learn" that day.

Never forget ..........

Sep 11, 2002 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 38
I had just gotten back from a backpacking trip, and was asleep when my brother came into my room and turned on the TV. I had no idea what was going on, and in fact I thought at first that perhaps the president had been assassinated. It was quite a morning.

Sep 11, 2002 at 3:49 PM Post #12 of 38
I was taking my 1 year old son to my mother-inlaw before going to work.

My trip took me down a main ave that had a clear view of the towers. (In NJ)
I saw the explosion that happened when the 2nd plane hit.
I didn't know at the time that it was a second plane.
I just thought that something was exploding at the towers.
It wasn't until I got to my mother-inlaw that I saw the second plane on TV.
All I could say was " I just saw that happen! Oh my God, it was a second plane!"

I was numb.

I'm still numb.
frown.gif

Sep 11, 2002 at 4:02 PM Post #13 of 38
I was at the other end of my train trip. I had gotten up probably right as this was happening. I drove into town and couldn't figure out why all my rock n roll radio stations were playing talk radio. After about 20 minutes they finally said they would have more coverage on the attack of America. They never did say what had happened. The am radio talk shows were playing on all the fm stations. All I remember is people calling in and talking about something I couldn't understand. I had no idea what had happened until I got back to my hotel and turned on the tv. What a shocker!

Sep 11, 2002 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 38
I go to work early over here in the Pacific time zone. When I was turning off the TV to leave the house for work, the first tower was hit. At the time, I thought it was maybe an errant Cessna or something and I left for work.

On the drive, I listed to the news as they tried to figure out what kind of plane it was and which floors were damaged. Then reports of the second tower being struck came through and I remember thinking, "this has to be a planned terrorist event, two planes hitting the same landmark is too much of a coincidence."

At work (a brokerage) everyone was crowded around the TV monitors watching CNBC, CNN, MSNBC and the other news stations. We watched the events unfold and stuck together for a bit as we were not sure whether the markets would open or not. Fortunately the markets were closed and we were able to just talk together and deal with what we were watching. Some of our people were trying to call friends in NYC to find out if people they were connected to were in the towers that day.

It was really surreal. I remember when the towers collapsed and the Pentagon was hit how we were wondering what would be next (with all those planes still in the air, we were worried).

We split up and left the office. I drove home. Not wanting to be alone watching the news, I went to a local pub and watched the news with others from the neighborhood.

It's the kind of event that stays with you. I can only imagine what it was like for people in NY and for those that lost loved ones.

Although it's something to remember, I'm sick of seeing the massive coverage in the media this week and particularly today.

Sep 11, 2002 at 4:27 PM Post #15 of 38
Woke up, went down stairs, put on some coffee, and turned on the TV. At first, I had no idea what I was seeing. It seems like it was about an hour or so before I really understood what was happening. Then I just got damned angry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back