Where to start looking?
Apr 24, 2006 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

CMacDaddy

100+ Head-Fier
I've been on the boards sporatically for years, and am looking to put together a good headphone setup this summer. Right now, I use the Sony V6 headphone, and am satisfied with the detail and bass, but am annoyed by the comfort/highs. For transportable headphones I think they're awesome. I've also heard the Sennheiser HD570, and Sony CD580 (unamped). Both of these headphones were better in terms of comfort, but I liked the sound of the V6 over each of them.

I've already got a CD Player and Sherwood reciever for my stereo, and hope to use the CD Player (Samsung DVD-HD841) as a source for the headphone setup. I will also use my computer for some listening. I'm hoping to spend ~$400 on an amp and headphone.

For the amp, I'm almost completly set on the Headfive. I'm waiting to hear some reviews, but its definatly the front runner.

For headphones, I'm confused. Its hard to keep up with all the headphones and peoples opinions of them, so I'll just give a list of the music I listen to and the sound style I like.

Favorite Tunes: Anthony Hamilton, Cake, Radiohead, Beck, Weezer, Fionna Apple, with some more hip-hop, classical (wagner, gershwin are my current fav's), and Dream Theatre.

I've considered the Sennheiser 580/600, but because I really didn't like th 570, and have heard of a sennheiser "house sound," I'm leaning against them. The 570's were way too light on bass, and the music sounded like it was coming from behind a curtain or something. The sound was good, but if this is the veil others mention in regards to the Senn sound, I want no part of it.

I've considered a grado can, but am worried that for some of the laid back rock like Beck and Cake, it may not fit. I've never heard any Grado, and will have to before I buy anything, but will these cans work with my musical tastes?

I really don't know what else to consider. I don't want an in-ear solution (have tried those before, and don't like the isolation). Are there any other brands to consider?

Can anyone help me decide on where I should be looking?

What setup's should I be considering in this price range?

(If theres anyone in Austin who has any of the gear I should be considering, I'd be very grateful for a listen)

Apr 24, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 6
good for you for asking for audition help, and i imagine there is a hi-fi shop that has headphones available to audition in your area. they won't have a full selection, but that should take a lot of the mystery out of what you like and don't like in a headphone, and probably enough of a selection to find something you like. i really recommend going and just listening to some headphones. call around. and grado's do beck and cake great, IMO. you can't read too much into the generalizations people make about headphones. without much listening experience for reference, it's just going to be a lot of babble that will probably misdirect you more than really aid you.

Apr 24, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 6
true...you have encountered the famed sennheiser veil. there are two headphones that i can think of the top of my head that don't have it because of the changed presentation: the HD555 and the HD595. Both of them have a sufficient amount of bass. Otherwise, i think that maybe a grado 325i or Alessandro MS2i might do a good job in the presentation and bass departments.

Apr 24, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #4 of 6
I own a pair of HD570s. The HD570 is not--repeat--is NOT a good indicator of Sennheiser sound quality; after hearing an HD600, I can safely say the HD570 is a far cry from its "brethren" in both soundstage and clarity. The "tone" is similar, but that's about it.

Apr 24, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 6
So headphones that I should be looking to audition

Grado: 325i
Allesandro: MS2i
Senn: HD595, (probably 580/600 if available)

What about the older Grado lineup (SR225, SR325)? Are the AT A900's still in good regards around here, or any other AT cans in the 150-200 range? I'm just looking to see what I should be looking for
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMacDaddy
So headphones that I should be looking to audition

Grado: 325i
Allesandro: MS2i
Senn: HD595, (probably 580/600 if available)

What about the older Grado lineup (SR225, SR325)? Are the AT A900's still in good regards around here, or any other AT cans in the 150-200 range? I'm just looking to see what I should be looking for
biggrin.gif

It appears as if you've got a pretty nice pending setup in production. Although I haven't heard many of the cans listed above, I can vouch for the HD595. When auditioned, I remember it being a cross between the stereotypical presetation of a grado and sennheiser; in other words, not too laid back and not too forward. Though, if I had to select a can to start my head-fi journey with, from the provided selection, it would be the HD600. I'd imagine it being fairly easy to guage what type of sound you're looking for after auditioning them. Not to say that you couldn't do this with any of the others, but I feel this would be an acceptable frame of reference to begin with
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back