Where to shoot your wad Cans or Amp?
Apr 28, 2004 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

rhodyavphile

New Head-Fier
If you can't have your cake and eat it too what do you do?

a) High end cans and low to mid grade amplification.
b) High end amplification and low to mid grade cans.
c) Walk the fence with mid grade cans and amp.

Apr 28, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 17
Spend your cash on source & cans. My opinion of the order is:

1) Recording
2) Source
3) Cans (or speakers)
4) Amp
5) Cables

This isn't set in stone, but is a general guideline. There would be some obvious exceptions, such as a $4000 Sony R10 would probably sound better out of a portable CDP than a $5 'stock' headphone would sound out of a $10,000 cd player.

-dd3mon

Apr 28, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 17
What? You can't shoot your wad at everything?

Everyone now. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!
eek.gif

-Ed

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 17
I'm currently in the process of selling almost all of my stuff and shooting my wad on a homemade CD player and an Eddie Current HD25. My phones? Probably AKG K240S. So obviously I'm building from the source up.

(edit: my logic is that I can always swap out cans at meets and see what sounds good on my specific rig. Or at least that's what I tell myself)

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dd3mon
Spend your cash on source & cans. My opinion of the order is:

1) Recording
2) Source
3) Cans (or speakers)
4) Amp
5) Cables
-dd3mon

Agreed!
k1000smile.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 17
Source first! Always. The most money should go into a source. The rest will be divided into other avenues with the amp getting second place spending wise.

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #8 of 17
looking at what I have right now... definitely the "High end cans low to mid amp."

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
looking at what I have right now... definitely the "High end cans low to mid amp."

Grace 901 to L3000s...some might argue that this is a "high end cans, mid-high amp" considering the Grace is a $1000 amp. Sure a hell of a lot higher quality than anything I've bought. ^_^

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:26 AM Post #10 of 17
currently it is an HP-2 to the grace amp.
tongue.gif
but ya, I guess an amp that costs over $1000 isn't really low to mid end. I was looking at stuff like the EAR yoshino HP-4 amp so my scales are a bit skewed.

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999

Heh, I wouldn't call a Grace 901 a low or mid price amp given it's 1500 price tag. I'd go along with strohmie on this it's a mid-high price amp.

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #12 of 17
I think it depends on how much you plan on investing in audio gear down the road. If, for example, you plan on really maximizing your setup, I say buy something pretty high end right away (source, cans, whatever--though source would be my first call) and then cheaper substitions. Later, you build up around whatever high-end piece of gear you got, and its one less item to upgrade.

Alternatively, determine your limit and budget accordingly.

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #13 of 17
I suggest putting most of your money on a pair of cans you really like first. Then build your system around that. If you don't like the tone or sonic signature of the set of cans you have, no matter how good the source or amp is, you'll not like your system.

Also, there's no way to get around upgraditis. You're a headfier now; you've gotten yourself the virus. Deal with it!
very_evil_smiley.gif
On a brighter note, it may go into remission for awhile after a good dose of shiny new gears.

Apr 28, 2004 at 1:46 PM Post #14 of 17
Don't forget your source. As a *general* rule of thumb, I'd suggest outspending 2:1 in favor of source over amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back