Where to go from here?
Apr 20, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #16 of 23
You're not going to find a small size, high current tube amp to drive that amp with. The smallest transformer coupled tube amp I know of (that doesn't use an external power supply brick) is the WA6. You're going to have to go with a hybrid like the Vali2. Anything more powerful and you'll get an amp with the same footprint area albeit in a different orientation and not as tall, like the Schiit Lr2; current Lyr 3 version isn't as low profile because of how the tube is mounted on the new version.

Thanks.

Have to say, A/Bing between the Susvara and the Utopia on the PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP has spoiled the Utopia for me. It seems like the clarity on the Utopia is mostly a bump in the higher area of the frequency range. While it adds a certain clarity sometimes, it seems to muddle the finer details of individual instruments in busier passages of music and compress the soundstage. Meanwhile on the Susvara, those individual instrument are separated a lot more and easy to pick out. Comparing One Flight Down (Norah Jones) between the two you can really hear and follow all the instruments in the busier passages on the Susvara, while it becomes a hodgepodge on the Utopia in comparison. Just wish the Susvara were easier to drive so I didn’t have to be tethered to one spot in the townhouse when I listen to them...

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #19 of 23

Yeah. I’ve got that covered. I have two setups currently for non-headphone use.

1) B&W 803 D3 setup in the HT room with HTM2 D3 center and 805 D3 surrounds for stereo, movies and surround music.

2) ML Montis stereo setup with PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP for more casual listening.

The DiaLogue is now being used to power the Susvaras. I would like another amp to put up in the bedroom so I can relax/meditate up there and listen to them as well, but needs to be a small footprint.

Perhaps there is a decently sized solid state option out there that easily powers these HPs?

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #20 of 23
Yeah. I’ve got that covered. I have two setups currently for non-headphone use.

1) B&W 803 D3 setup in the HT room with HTM2 D3 center and 805 D3 surrounds for stereo, movies and surround music.

2) ML Montis stereo setup with PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP for more casual listening.

The DiaLogue is now being used to power the Susvaras. I would like another amp to put up in the bedroom so I can relax/meditate up there and listen to them as well, but needs to be a small footprint.

Perhaps there is a decently sized solid state option out there that easily powers these HPs?

iFi iCan Pro would be good for that I think.

This is the main Susvara thread, good place to ask for amp recommendations: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-susvara.853031/page-78

This also looks interesting: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sou...uit-full-balanced-headphone-amplifier.875303/

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #21 of 23
iFi iCan Pro would be good for that I think.

This is the main Susvara thread, good place to ask for amp recommendations: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-susvara.853031/page-78

This also looks interesting: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sou...uit-full-balanced-headphone-amplifier.875303/

Cool thanks. Yeah, I read through around 50 pages of the thread before I burned out. I made a list of amps mentioned. It’s a large list! I was hoping to narrow it down more. I will have to check out the iCan Pro. Thanks.

Amps mentioned in the thread:

HeadAmp GS-X MkII
Commercial F7
Pass Labs XA30.8
Woo WA33
Solaris
Violectric V281
Auris HS2
iCAN Pro
GSX MK2
SuSy Dynahi
COS Engineering H1 (DAC and AMP)
Master 9 (paired with Hugo2)
Chord Dave
iFi Retro
Headtrip

Apr 26, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #23 of 23
I’ve been listening with Focal Utopias as my main open back headphones and have the Sennheiser HD820s on order for closed back headphones. I’d love to pick up a set of HPs that exemplifies one of the best soundstages available to compliment the detailed but compressed soundstage of the Focals.

Any one have suggestions on HPs to try out?

But please, nothing extreme like the $40-50k sets on the market...

Get the Chord Dave + High-end cables for the Utopia.

People say the soundstage will also get better with the Blu MKII but I cannot confirm that as I did not hear it yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back