Where to get wooden shells(outer) (grado)
Apr 1, 2014 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Melvins

Fake trader feedback from duplicate account: Frankzappa92.
Aka: Melvins92
BAD TRADER
Hey guys,

So I was reminiscing on my old sr125i's that I had modified with wooden cups (that I've since sold), and I'm really thinking that I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger and get some new wooden cups to put on my 325i's. I'm sort of out of the loop so who/what companies still are making wooden shells? I'm an unemployed college student so ideally I would like to pay as little as possible, whilst still maintaining quality work/wood. I remember I only had to pay Bilavideo 50 bucks for his BEAUTIFUL cocobolo shells for my 125i. Not only did it pretty it up but man oh man it add a discernible warmth/intimateness that certainly wasn't there before. I highly doubt I can pay anyone 50$ for a pair of wooden shells nowadays but...maybe! Thanks guys. Look foreword on hearing your replies.

Feel free to PM me as well.

Melvins 

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 7
Ok, I'll check them out! I wonder what sort of wood they offer....

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 7
Turbulent Labs, $95

They seem nice but I'm not a fan of the color on them at all. I want a darker appearing wood. i know that sound is the most important but I have heard that wooden cups on the 325i's don't really alter the sound all that much. Really it's more for aesthetic purposes. I just LOVE the look of wooden shells. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #5 of 7
I've been wondering the same thing myself.  I'd like to woody my SR80's but not sure where to get the wood from.

I agree on the darker wood too.

You may have some luck asking over in the "Great Grado Experiment" thread where they tested a bunch of different woods.  They must have got them from somewhere :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/686212/the-great-grado-experiment-4-tonewoods-tested-more-to-come

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks man. I'll check it out. I posted something on the general Grado appreciation thread too so maybe that'll stir something up...

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #7 of 7
bump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back