Where to get audiophile quality caps?
Jul 8, 2002 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jarthel

500+ Head-Fier
I'm after Elna Silmic/Duorex/Cerafine in 2200/3300 uF 35/50V. Other caps of hifi quality suggestion would be most welcome.

I've been to Angela and Welborne and nothing much there. Also, I have Percy's catalog and I think he's on vacation so I would count that out. I've also spoke to THLAudio. The time it takes for them to reply to emails is just not good.
frown.gif

Thanks

Jayel

ps. No Black Gate please. I don't have budget for that.
smily_headphones1.gif
Also no lug/stud/tag moun-type cap. It wouldn't fit my vero board.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2002 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 10
'Tis true - I have nothing that large a value at that voltage.

All of Elna's capacitors have a range of values and a range of voltages. As the value goes up, the voltage goes down. You can get a 2200uF/16V Cerafine but the highest value in 50V is 470uF.

The Silmac, Silmac2, Starget, and other lines do the same thing.

I'd suggest finding the exact cap you need here and then use the links on Elna's site to find a sales rep near you.

Note that, in my dealings with sales reps anyway, there is an 8 week lead time ('cause they come from Japan) and you have minimum order quantities. Usually 200, 100, & 50 pcs, depending on the value (larger value=lower minimum order).

Now, if you are only after a couple you *might* be able to sweet talk them out of a sample or two. If you're really lucky, the sales rep might even have some laying around.

Have you tried Handmade Electronics?

ok,
erix

Jul 9, 2002 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by jarthel
I've been to Angela and Welborne and nothing much there. Also, I have Percy's catalog and I think he's on vacation so I would count that out. I've also spoke to THLAudio. The time it takes for them to reply to emails is just not good.
frown.gif

The people at Percy Audio are back from vacation. I placed an order with them today.

By the way, Parts Connexion has a good selection of caps, but no Elnas: http://www.partsconnexion.com

Jul 9, 2002 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 10
I emailed my order Sunday and they shipped it yesterday. I also got the tracking number without asking for it.

Ordering by email and paying using Paypal/Bidpay should be the fastest way to order.

Jul 10, 2002 at 5:51 AM Post #10 of 10
Nichicon KG series caps, some Roederstein for a stepped atttenuator, Elna switch, Wonder solder, solen caps and others.

Solen are the cheapest! metallized poly that they have.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jayel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back