Where to find RCA 75 ohm connectors for spdif cable
Mar 14, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 19
there's no such thing as 75ohm rca. canare's probably amongst the best you can do but it's not 75 ohm either, by default.

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #4 of 19
A better option would probably be to redo your male and female connections with 75 ohm BNC connectors if you want true 75 ohms. Just make sure your male BNC connectors are the thin walled ones in regard to the insulation and not the thicker walled ones (50 ohms.)

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #6 of 19
JJ15k - What ooheadsoo is getting at is that an RCA connector is not really designed for the specifications of S/PDIF. The thing to remember about S/PDIF 75 ohm digital cables is that the ratio of inner to outer conductor diameter in the coax (or connectors) determines their impedance (in this case, 2:1) as long as the dielectric constant of the insulator stays the same. A BNC connector, because of its construction is able to maintain this ratio. With an RCA connector, it's virtually impossible to do this.

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ15k
I m not following you ooheadsoo

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
there's no such thing as 75ohm rca.

Is that not clear?

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 19
Dakiller, I was awaiting a more detailed explanation.
Thanks Jeff. Now I just want to ask, aren t spdif coax cables terminated by a RCA plug? Or is it specifically adjusted for 75ohm and not called rca?
Thanks

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 19
The "lo tech" version
wink.gif

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/75ohmrca.htm

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ15k
Thanks! Makes me wonder what equipments manufacturers are thinking as RCA coax is one of the most common spdif connection

They don't think, they usually just go by the cheapest methods out there when it comes to connectors and the rest of the interface. It's one of the best mods i have ever done, had my doubts it would be noticeable at all. But it is.
BNCs are very expensive compared to RCA which may be one reason, and people know where to get RCA 75 ohm video cables - but ask for BNC and you'd get weird looks.

What will you be using it for by the way ?
It will work just fine with RCA connectors, it's just that it can get so much better (but so can everything on headfi right?)
icon10.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #13 of 19
I ll be using it between Emu1212m and DAC. I read fiber optics weren t that good when it came to low frequencies (ie: audio range) even if they were glass, although I admitedly have no knowledge about this.

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #15 of 19
Yes but those 1 and 0s are sent at a certain frequency, although I don t know at what frequency digital audio operates. I was just reporting something I read it may be complete gibberish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back