Where to find Alessandro Grado Music Series Pro?
Aug 6, 2002 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

The Quality Guru

Blah! he says.
Well, the title says it all. Where can I find one of these, either used or new? I like the W100, though I could see myself looking at one of these in the near future. How much do these run for as new? Used?

Thanks for any sort of help or a point in the right direction-- namely from you Gradophiles or Alessandro Gradophiles -- or anyone for that matter.
biggrin.gif

Regards, Luke

Aug 6, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by The Quality Guru
Well, the title says it all. Where can I find one of these, either used or new? I like the W100, though I could see myself looking at one of these in the near future. How much do these run for as new? Used?

Thanks for any sort of help or a point in the right direction-- namely from you Gradophiles or Alessandro Gradophiles -- or anyone for that matter.
biggrin.gif

Regards, Luke

Search for Music Series One or MS1

I remember someone saying something very complimentary about them. Feature/price ratio very good.

Aug 6, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Blighty
You can purchase them here but be ready to pay
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

Personally I would just stick with Grado for ease of service, lower prices and more well known in general.

The MS Pro is a headphone that's more neutral and musical to my ears than the RS-1. Which company is better-known to you is irrelevant, especially since Grado services Alessandro headphones as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 22
<<Music Series Pro>>

mmmm.... waaaant....

Aug 7, 2002 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
The MS Pro is a headphone that's more neutral and musical to my ears than the RS-1.

The only physical difference seems to be that the grado button is removed from the AG headphones. The removal of this obstruction possibly accounts for the difference in sound you heard. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has heard both the MSP and a modified RS-1 for comparison.
Quote:

Which company is better-known to you is irrelevant, especially since Grado services Alessandro headphones as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Since Grado also services Alessandro they may be more similar then some people think
smily_headphones1.gif

At any rate, AG headphones can only be found for full MSRP whereas Grados can usually be obtained for significantly less -- sometimes up to 30% off list.

Aug 7, 2002 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

The only physical difference seems to be that the grado button is removed from the AG headphones. The removal of this obstruction possibly accounts for the difference in sound you heard. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has heard both the MSP and a modified RS-1 for comparison.

[size=medium]NOPE[/size] this has been tested many times, it makes no difference.

Aug 7, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Blighty

Since Grado also services Alessandro they may be more similar then some people think
smily_headphones1.gif

At any rate, AG headphones can only be found for full MSRP whereas Grados can usually be obtained for significantly less -- sometimes up to 30% off list.

I did a search and it appears the MS1's use a better wire in the voice coil winding. And delivered for $99 ? That's pretty damn good...

Aug 7, 2002 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar

I did a search and it appears the MS1's use a better wire in the voice coil winding. And delivered for $99 ? That's pretty damn good...

Where did you get that information?

BTW, Grado ad copy reads the same as Allesandro ad copy:
Quote:

The Reference Series RS1 and RS2 along with the Prestige Series SR325's, SR225's and SR125's feature voice-coils that are wound from ultra-high purity, long crystal (UHPLC) oxygen free copper. The copper is slowly drawn through the die in extremely small increments and is annealed following each drawing operation. Ultra-high conductivity copper yields the clearest transmission and lowest coloration possible. The sound of UHPLC copper is smoother, cleaner and more dynamic. All use very high power neodymium magnets to provide maximum efficiency and better sound. Each headphone driver is made to Grado's high standards, then pair-matched for exact imaging. The RS1's, RS2's and SR325's also utilize UHPLC copper in the connecting cable.

Quote:

The Music Series One, Two and Pro headphones all feature voice-coils that are wound from ultra-high purity, long crystal (UHPLC) oxygen free copper. Ultra-high conductivity copper yields the clearest transmission and lowest coloration possible. This combined with high power neodymium magnets provide maximum efficiency giving a smoother, cleaner and more dynamic sound and a larger perceived sound stage.

Aug 7, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #10 of 22
the alessandro cans are supposedly modified versions of their grado counterparts. george alessandro wouldn't elaborate any further than that. and alessandro phones were originally offered at a pretty substantial discount. but alas, the deal is no longer available. there are other places to buy alessandro cans, and most will offer discounts. i got my MS-1's at a nice discount from music museum, but i am unsure if they still carry alessandro cans. you can always e-mail alessandro and ask about dealers.

Aug 7, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth

Where did you get that information?

BTW, Grado ad copy reads the same as Allesandro ad copy:

Caught me
biggrin.gif
Actually I was speeding through a bunch of threads returned from my search and incorrectly retained what was posted by AudioRedneck in this thread -> http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&highlight=ms1

It was an 80/125 difference comparison not involving the MS1. But if you read it really fast...

Sorry, I stand corrected.

Aug 7, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #12 of 22
I was just wondering if you found something new on the Allesandros.
Thanks,

Aug 7, 2002 at 1:58 AM Post #13 of 22
Thanks for the thread reference. So it looks like the MS-1 is sort of a hybrid of the SR-80 and the SR-125 for a price of 99 bux. Not a bad deal!

Aug 7, 2002 at 2:03 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

I was just wondering if you found something new on the Allesandros.
Thanks,

Hey, wish I had !

Aug 7, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Thanks for the thread reference. So it looks like the MS-1 is sort of a hybrid of the SR-80 and the SR-125 for a price of 99 bux. Not a bad deal!

That's pretty much it. I was originally searching for a posting that stated the MS1 had SR-125 features incorporated into it and was a really good value for the money. Opinions are all over the place (as usual
biggrin.gif
) brighter, more neutral, etc. There's tons of threads MS series vs Grado and all variations... But the MS1 for $99 sounds pretty sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back