where to buy mint boards?
Jul 15, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 17
im not complaning that its expensive, but im a student on a very, very limited budget. and i really dont want to deal with making my parents get paypal just so i can spent a few bucks

Jul 16, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 17
It's Tangent's design, he's not a reseller as you would find for most products at eMerchants, and that is a very fair price. If you found it elsewhere it'd most likely be someone looking to make a large profit and would cost more, not less.

You could always buy $50 worth of supplies and start etching your own boards. It'd take a long time, be lower quality, and quite a few boards before you broke even on cost per board. plus, a Mint is a poorer candidate than many projects for home etching as it's smaller. NOt impossible, but just do yourself a favor and spend the $5. IMO, a large part of how much you like an amp later on (besides the obvious- how it sounds) is whether you used a good circuit board and a case you like.

DIY and "cheap" just don't go together very well. It's propaganda we use to lure in innocents to share in our madness.

Jul 16, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 17
To save some extra dollars in the long run, check the parts list for the mint. Tangent sells a few of them, and if you purchase more than $10 in parts, you can skip the "small order surcharge". I would vote for the buffers, in this case....

Jul 17, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #11 of 17
I second that; it can be tought to find those buffers anywhere sometimes, and tangent's price has always been the cheapest I've seen.

If you want a volume control you could also get the Alps RK97 from tangent; it incorporates an on/off swtich, so it can save you a bit of room and clean up the front panel a bit.

Jul 17, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 17
Buy yourself a used one to save money. PERIOD.

Think about this:

shipping? + taxes? + tools? + obsession?

The latter is the most expensive one
orphsmile.gif

Jul 18, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #14 of 17
you've hit the nail on the head. Ive already built a CMOY, but just wanst satisfied and wanted to go at another. Luckilly i didnt need to buy tools because kept them from his early days doin some electrical classes in college.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back