Where to buy high-end IEM's local
Dec 17, 2007 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Methos1979

Head-Fier
I guess my first post was way too long as I got no responses on that one. So I'll boil it down to a few lines:

Source: Creative ZEN - no amp, no plan to amp
Music: Just about everything but right now mostly Rock and Alternative. I like a lot of bass, but not at the expense of the mids and highs.

Looking to try out some of the many higher-end IEMs people rave about here like the Shure SE530, UE Super.fi 5EB, Westone UM2 (UM3s if they become available), and a myriad of other types.

Here's the rub: Are there ANY types/chains of local retailers that sell these in the USA, in particular, the Northeast, that you guys/gals know of? I've been to all the major players - Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, etc. and no one carries the really good stuff. Is it only available online? Please tell me where you've bought your high-end IEM's.

Thanks,

M.

Dec 17, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 8
I would add the super.fi 5 Pro to your list.

I have yet to see a major store sell IEMs. Personally, I always buy online.

Dec 17, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 8
Apple stores generally carry some Shures at MSRP. Possible some high-end audio dealers *might* - try googlemapping for "audio" in your zip.

There's not a ton of incentive to buy local from a sheer short-term consumer point of view since the vast majority of IEMs cannot be tried before purchase (save the occasional Shure-like display), and many places won't accept returns on IEMs anyway.

Dec 17, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 8
Where in the northeast?

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 8
I'm in the Seacoast, NH area. Boston is only a little over an hour away. Same with Manchester and Nashua.

Yeah, I know the local guys just can't keep up with the online. Who's really good to buy from online who will accept returns towards a different pair if you don't like them? I don't mind shelling out several hundred bucks for some sweet IEM's but I want them to knock my socks off, if you know what I mean. And if not, I want to be able to return them and try something else.

The Super.fi Pro's are definately in that list of etc. I just picked the EB's as I really like a good amount of bass and from what I've read, the EB's have that over the Pro's.

Thanks for the replies and ideas so far.

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Methos1979 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Super.fi Pro's are definately in that list of etc. I just picked the EB's as I really like a good amount of bass and from what I've read, the EB's have that over the Pro's.

The Super.Fi 5 Pros have great bass.

The Super.Fi 5 EBs have an absolute excess of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back